Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Making a Decision on How to Publish (2 Viewers)

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Thanks, @VRanger. I understand this backs up your position on publishing services.

While I haven't yet decided how I will publish, I wanted to add some additional thoughts I had, in an effort to help others on the same road.

You can also clean your house for free. Does that mean you should never hire a housekeeper? I think this whole notion/term of a vanity press is outdated. What these companies offer is a service, just like housekeeping. I have spoken to a number of these third-party service providers for self-publishing and so far, no one has tricked me into thinking that I will be "traditionally published" or given me any other grandiose promises. Yes, of course, they will try to show benefits to using their company, just like any other consumer-based company will do. What they offer is a service to do the self-publishing legwork for you so you don't have to do it yourself. Simple as that.

As far as pricing, i.e. "over-priced" or "pay through the nose", etc. What constitutes a fair price is what someone is willing to pay. I have been quoted by a number of service providers similar fees around $5,000 -$6,000 for everything I need including retail buy-back insurance. I made more than that in my consulting business in five days last week. Meanwhile, my book sat idle.

I have also spoken to people in my personal network who have used Friesen, Iunivers, etc, who had a good experience. Could they have done it for less money...of course! Did they get scammed...no...they got what they believed they paid for.

Before anyone jumps all over me on this...please remember, I'm not a gullible idiot...lol! Just offering another perspective.
Before heading out on your publishing journey, first set a goal of where you want to go.

What do you want in terms of readers and monetary gains? At even a lower level, why did you write your book? If you're looking for wealth and fame, that's exceedingly rare especially on the first book you write, but in that case I suggest traditional publishing via an agent. If you wrote your novel because you loved the process, and now hope to entertain readers - I suggest Amazon.

I know some push back on that opinion is due, but Amazon works fine for me. Publishing is FREE, and you can advertise there to boost your sales. A lot of people go there to buy books; Amazon is definitely one of the larger outlets available. Yes, there are a ton of other options, but whether you should use them depends on whether you want to spend more time hawking your wares or if you'd rather write another book.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Before heading out on your publishing journey, first set a goal of where you want to go.

What do you want in terms of readers and monetary gains? At even a lower level, why did you write your book? If you're looking for wealth and fame, that's exceedingly rare especially on the first book you write, but in that case I suggest traditional publishing via an agent. If you wrote your novel because you loved the process, and now hope to entertain readers - I suggest Amazon.

I know some push back on that opinion is due, but Amazon works fine for me. Publishing is FREE, and you can advertise there to boost your sales. A lot of people go there to buy books; Amazon is definitely one of the larger outlets available. Yes, there are a ton of other options, but whether you should use them depends on whether you want to spend more time hawking your wares or if you'd rather write another book.
To answer your questions, the goal is to publish a product that is as polished and appealing as possible and then to get as many people to read and like it as possible. Wealth is not an issue and neither is fame to a degree, but if so many people read it, one becomes well-known, I wouldn't count that out as a goal to shoot for. Kevin Kwan's, Crazy Rich Asians was his first novel.

I understand that you can publish on Amazon through KDP, but even if you publish it first through a third party, it does not preclude you from selling on Amazon. I buy pretty much all of my books or rent them through Amazon Kindle Unlimited. But they are not all published through KDP. Is the advertising program only available if you publish through KDP?

Last edited:

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
To answer your questions, the goal is to publish a product that is as polished and appealing as possible and then to get as many people to read and like it as possible. Wealth is not an issue and neither is fame to a degree, but if so many people read it, one becomes well-known, I wouldn't count that out as a goal to shoot for.

I understand that you can publish on Amazon through KDP, but even if you publish it first through a third party, it does not preclude you from selling on Amazon. I buy pretty much all of my books or rent them through Amazon Kindle Unlimited. But they are not all published through KDP. Is the advertising program only available if you publish through KDP?
That's true. You can use the ISBN you get on your own or via another service on Amazon. Amazon also has Kindle Unlimited, where we get paid by the pages people read for free. If you're looking for readers, you might also build a website for your author activities, and create pages on social networks (like FB).

Someone once told me that the best way to draw in more readers was to write more books - a one-off author doesn't have a lot of credibility.

I'm unsure about advertising products not sold on amazon on amazon - that's a new one on me.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
That's true. You can use the ISBN you get on your own or via another service on Amazon. Amazon also has Kindle Unlimited, where we get paid by the pages people read for free.
Glad to hear that since I have rented three of your books! Another good reason to use KDP.
If you're looking for readers, you might also build a website for your author activities, and create pages on social networks (like FB).
I've already got those ready to go.
Someone once told me that the best way to draw in more readers was to write more books - a one-off author doesn't have a lot of credibility.
I'm working on it...lol! I understand that series are particularly desirable.
I'm unsure about advertising products not sold on amazon on amazon - that's a new one on me.
I'll do a bit more digging and report back.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
Kindle Unlimited [KU] is a great place to pick up reviews.
See, there is a lotta shit in KU...so if your stuff is decent, it will get picked up there quickly.
A 5-star review from a KU reader is just as sticky as one from an eBook buyer.
If your book is well written, they'll be on it like hungry pirhannas in KU.
KU readers are ravenous.

...but while you are in KU, you cannot sell DIGITAL copies of your book elsewhere in other markets.
KU is exclusive.
But you can sell all the print copies you want.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
Also, if you join KU, you get some free marketing tools.
You can give your book away for free for 5 days a quarter (good for reviews and exposure)
You can host countdown sales (price goes down every day/hour. Lame-o)

I'd suggest KU while you are seeing activity, but when it peters out, move to other markets like D2D, Ingram...

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Kindle Unlimited [KU] is a great place to pick up reviews.
See, there is a lotta shit in KU...so if your stuff is decent, it will get picked up there quickly.
A 5-star review from a KU reader is just as sticky as one from an eBook buyer.
If your book is well written, they'll be on it like hungry pirhannas in KU.
KU readers are ravenous.

...but while you are in KU, you cannot sell DIGITAL copies of your book elsewhere in other markets.
KU is exclusive.
But you can sell all the print copies you want.
Thanks, Ralph...that is really good information! If you publish outside of Amazon KDP, like Barnes & Noble can you still offer your ebook on KU?

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Also, if you join KU, you get some free marketing tools.
You can give your book away for free for 5 days a quarter (good for reviews and exposure)
You can host countdown sales (price goes down every day/hour. Lame-o)

I'd suggest KU while you are seeing activity, but when it peters out, move to other markets like D2D, Ingram...
So that's another thing I'm not clear on. Some of the self-publishing service providers offer that they will publish your book on more than one platform, for example, IngramSpark, Barnes & Noble, and KDP. So if you handle this yourself, you would just upload to multiple sites? Would you need a new ISBN each time you republish, or can you buy a generic one upfront?

Last edited:

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
So that's another thing I'm not clear on. Some of the self-publishing service providers offer that they will publish your book on more than one platform, for example, IngramSpark, Barnes & Noble, and KDP. So if you handle this yourself, you would just upload to multiple sites? Would you need a new ISBN each time you republish, or can you buy a generic one upfront?
Different formats require unique ISBN's - this was a surprise I encountered when I published hardback novels. The paperback and hardback required different ISBN's - as these are used to find your book, I suppose it's understandable, yet I was surprised.