Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Lord of The Flies (1 Viewer)

Worlds

Alright, I apologize if this a repostor anything. I absolutely loved this book. Brilliant. I just recently finished reading it for the fourth time, and it was as fantastic as the first. Just the whole book, the themes and ideas presented in it are great. And the writing is awesome too. One of my favorite books of all time, if not my favorite. Anyone else agree?

Also, I think my favorite scene is when Simon is talking ot the Lord of the Flies. That part always gives me chills

Lucifiel

I read both the book and the film made off it. I first tried to read the book as a child but lacked the maturity to understand it and so, I only read it a second time when I was about 15.

Totally freaking and a real nutcase writer, I must say! :razz:

Wilderness

I studied this book at school and really REALLY didnt like it.
That was 2-3 years ago, though. I dont like I would like it if I read it again now.

Lani

Dresdor

That's a book ripe for literary analysis and over-analysis. The entertainment value of it is largely dwarfed by that fact.

Mike C

WF Veterans
Which is a pity, because I found it to be hugely entertaining. having read it at several ages, I got something different from ot every time.

Wilderness, I'd suggest that when you get time, read it afresh. School can kill any book.

Wilderness

Tell me about it. It killed a book which I really loved (Blueprints for a barbed-wire canoe, Wayne Macauley) and its killing all the other ones I'm reading...Argh.

But I dont think it was school. It just wasnt my sort of book.

Lani

E

Ennui

It was a good book. Personally, I only have read it once, IN school, and I enjoyed it.

So school doesn't kill ALL books, just a large majortiy of them.

I

Ilan Bouchard

Just about every page of the book made me wish I could experience something as free as being trapped on an island.

Call me crazy, but being able to shed social structures and adheres would be pretty sweet in my opinion. (The scurvy might be a little tough to get used to, though.)

I

Ilan Bouchard

Ya, but on an island I imagine my food choices will be a bit more limited.

kalibantre

I read it in school and I adored it.. no one else in my class did but hey other people suck.

It's just awe inspiring, and yes it does make you want to appreciate nature, I got a confused grunt off my brither when I asked if Lost was like an adult Lord of the Flies. We watched a movie of it in school too, black and white one if I remember correctly. I shed many tears over that, I think my sister has it downstairs.. hmm...

BillyLiar

I loved this book. I found a copy from 1975 at my local Salvation Army (the best book store!) for fifty cents. There were some notes by a young girl named Kate in it, but nothing overbearing. Even though much of the story was rather predictable, it was still so great. Some parts were so serene and calming like when they first are lolling around the beach, while others such as the "Lord of the Flies" scene were terribly haunting, in a good way.

BeautifulDisaster

I really did NOT like Lord of the Flies, but I also read it in high school. Maybe if I read it now..I'd have a different opinion, but somehow I don't think so.

BillyLiar

I'm surprised someone can have an aversion to a book like this. It tells a great story very well. It isn't difficult reading like anything that Melville or Dickens ever wrote. I suggest you pick it up again, you can breeze through it in a few days.

D

Dan Price

I had to study it for 10th grade. To be honest i never read it. But I read chapter summeries. It freightend me to be honest. Trapped on an island, never going to go home, and half the boys on the island are a whole lot of jerks who are insecure and band otgether to bully others.
Of course having read the chapter summeries a few years back i might have no idea what im talking about. I think i'd rather watch the show Lost.

mandax

I rather enjoyed the book. I also studied it in school, and school did kill a lot of the appeal for me. Over-analyzing drives me insane. Maybe I'm just partial to islands, since LOST is in fact my favorite show.

Arin

Ilan Bouchard said:
Just about every page of the book made me wish I could experience something as free as being trapped on an island.

Call me crazy, but being able to shed social structures and adheres would be pretty sweet in my opinion. (The scurvy might be a little tough to get used to, though.)

For me, it's kind of the opposite. Though the book did spark some fantasies of freedom and exciting survival, they were quickly quenched when I saw the destructive nature of their lawless society. I mean, if I were trapped on an island with a group of people I knew and liked, yeah it would be fun. But there's no telling what people can do---the main theme of the book, I believe. :pirate:

BillyLiar

Arin said:
For me, it's kind of the opposite. Though the book did spark some fantasies of freedom and exciting survival, they were quickly quenched when I saw the destructive nature of their lawless society. I mean, if I were trapped on an island with a group of people I knew and liked, yeah it would be fun. But there's no telling what people can do---the main theme of the book, I believe. :pirate:
see what happens when people stop acting, and start getting REAL! Next week on the Real World..
=D

sanctuary

BillyLiar said:
see what happens when people stop acting, and start getting REAL! Next week on the Real World..
=D
funny.
Although I didnt like it, the whole microcosm on society at it's worst was captivating in a way. I wouldn't read it again though.

Users who are viewing this thread