Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Looking forward to meeting you all (1 Viewer)

Crooked Bird

Hi folks. My real name is Heather Munn, I live in rural Illinois, work on an organic farm and if you happen to shoot a deer out my way I'll take the hide off your hands to tan it. I've got three novels out there, all set in rural France (where I grew up) during WWII. (Two of them are now published in French as well.) I'm traditionally published but not what most people would call successful. Still looking for my place in the market, I believe. Long story, would love to discuss it with someone with relevant experience sometime if such a person's around & willing.

I've been active in another writing forum but 1) it's been down for like a month and 2) I'm starting to get jaded with some of their practices, so I'm sort of looking for a new home. I've got one thing to say/ask upfront. Let me put it this way. Last time I became active in a writing forum I very shyly took a long time to cop to what genre I'm published in, waiting till people knew me in hopes that they wouldn't make snap judgments about who I was or whether my writing was something they would want to read. Because sometimes people have. And to tell the truth I don't entirely blame them. And yet, I just don't feel like I have time to pussyfoot around this time. So: I write Christian fiction. I'm not sure I'm a good fit in that market (see above) but for now it's where I am. I'm not sure I'm a good fit elsewhere, or anywhere, to tell the truth. I'm not looking for other people in my genre, though I'd be glad to talk to them if any are here--just writers who are open, sensible people, as you all seem to be from the bit of lurking I've done. It's my aim to write fiction that embodies my own perspective on life but that anyone could enjoy and feel respected by no matter their faith or lack of it; I'm not sure that's a good marketing strategy (see above again, ha; aiming hard for your niche seems to work better) but it's who I am and it's not going to change in a hurry. All I'm asking is, are people up for taking my writing for what it is and not making assumptions? I'll do the same for you. I love the coming together of sharp minds from different perspectives. Life is so much more interesting that way.

Thanks for listening, and I look forward to interacting here.

druid12000

Welcome! :hi:

We may have been on the same forum. I'm liking this one much better, far less egocentric.

The folks here are exactly what you say, open, sensible people. This is a good community and I believe you will enjoy your time with us :grin:

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Hi folks. My real name is Heather Munn, I live in rural Illinois, work on an organic farm and if you happen to shoot a deer out my way I'll take the hide off your hands to tan it. I've got three novels out there, all set in rural France (where I grew up) during WWII. (Two of them are now published in French as well.) I'm traditionally published but not what most people would call successful. Still looking for my place in the market, I believe. Long story, would love to discuss it with someone with relevant experience sometime if such a person's around & willing.

I've been active in another writing forum but 1) it's been down for like a month and 2) I'm starting to get jaded with some of their practices, so I'm sort of looking for a new home. I've got one thing to say/ask upfront. Let me put it this way. Last time I became active in a writing forum I very shyly took a long time to cop to what genre I'm published in, waiting till people knew me in hopes that they wouldn't make snap judgments about who I was or whether my writing was something they would want to read. Because sometimes people have. And to tell the truth I don't entirely blame them. And yet, I just don't feel like I have time to pussyfoot around this time. So: I write Christian fiction. I'm not sure I'm a good fit in that market (see above) but for now it's where I am. I'm not sure I'm a good fit elsewhere, or anywhere, to tell the truth. I'm not looking for other people in my genre, though I'd be glad to talk to them if any are here--just writers who are open, sensible people, as you all seem to be from the bit of lurking I've done. It's my aim to write fiction that embodies my own perspective on life but that anyone could enjoy and feel respected by no matter their faith or lack of it; I'm not sure that's a good marketing strategy (see above again, ha; aiming hard for your niche seems to work better) but it's who I am and it's not going to change in a hurry. All I'm asking is, are people up for taking my writing for what it is and not making assumptions? I'll do the same for you. I love the coming together of sharp minds from different perspectives. Life is so much more interesting that way.

Thanks for listening, and I look forward to interacting here.

Yeah ... I'm also a refugee from AbsoluteWrite. I got fed up, up to my chin, with their owners/mods ... and I wasn't ever even on the receiving end of their depredations. I just never liked what I witnessed. Love the atmosphere here, and I'm confident you will, too. Welcome. :)

Crooked Bird

Yeah ... I'm also a refugee from AbsoluteWrite. I got fed up, up to my chin, with their owners/mods ... and I wasn't ever even on the receiving end of their depredations. I just never liked what I witnessed. Love the atmosphere here, and I'm confident you will, too. Welcome. :)

Oh well geez, you found me out. I had a mod pick a fight with me real hard a couple years ago, my spidey-senses started tingling and I noped out of the conversation, didn't allow myself even to click on it. I stuck around because I had a handful of really good relationships there in a tiny corner of the place and I zeroed in mostly on that for awhile. What got me this week was that I found a review by someone who had the same experience with the exact same mod and ended up banned. Till I read that I thought I might've overreacted way back when. I got to thinking, nothing stops me from continuing to swap stuff with my 3-4 friends over there but also finding a new home for actual discussion. I've been wanting me some discussion lately. Just finished a draft and for some reason that leaves me itching to talk shop.

And thanks for the welcome, everybody. I appreciate it. Looking forward to this!

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Oh well geez, you found me out. I had a mod pick a fight with me real hard a couple years ago, my spidey-senses started tingling and I noped out of the conversation, didn't allow myself even to click on it. I stuck around because I had a handful of really good relationships there in a tiny corner of the place and I zeroed in mostly on that for awhile. What got me this week was that I found a review by someone who had the same experience with the exact same mod and ended up banned. Till I read that I thought I might've overreacted way back when. I got to thinking, nothing stops me from continuing to swap stuff with my 3-4 friends over there but also finding a new home for actual discussion. I've been wanting me some discussion lately. Just finished a draft and for some reason that leaves me itching to talk shop.

And thanks for the welcome, everybody. I appreciate it. Looking forward to this!

Your username interests me! Would you care to explain in this thread? :)

https://www.writingforums.com/threads/191446-How-Did-You-Come-By-Your-User-Name

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator

Another AW refugee here. You’ve found a good and very supportive place here. I don’t want to say anything disparaging, AW has an audience, but I’m much happier here.

ETA: Welcome!

Crooked Bird

Another AW refugee here. You’ve found a good and very supportive place here. I don’t want to say anything disparaging, AW has an audience, but I’m much happier here.

ETA: Welcome!

Oh hey! I recognized your name of course but I assumed you were just on both. 'Course I haven't seen if all the usual people were around in the discussion spaces for the past year or more, I've been in my little corner.

Thanks for the welcome!