Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Looking for Book Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Hey ya'll. I have recently finished my latest book (Billy Strait by Johnathan Kellerman) and i am now looking for a new book to read. I'm pretty open to most genres although right now i am a major (murder)mystery buff. I was hoping I could get a few suggestions from you guys. Thanks!

DesolateValkyrie

I've actually read a lot of good books reciently, so maybe I can help. :D Some good mystery books are The Third Secret and The Romanov Prophecy, both by Steve Berry. A good sci-fi is Domain by Steve Alten. A good saga is Middlesex by Jeffrey Eguiendes, a good classic is A Portriat of Dorian Gray, and just a damn good book is House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. They're all wonderful. Hope I could be of some help. :)

wmd

I just finished reading Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz...

great supernatural thriller if you are into that.

Winged Sandals

Patricia Cromwell (at least I think that's her name...) is a pretty popular murder mystery author. You might check her books out.

Mike C

WF Veterans
Ditto the above, plus highly recommended - Blindness by Jose Saramago. I can guarantee you've never read anything else like it.

heatherlouise

ok, so its not a mystery book but one good read that i have just finished is called The Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. it doesn't start off very good but then its gets really good.
heather
:D

Moe

You just mentioned Labrynth(sp?), and I just started it a little while ago. It IS really blah at the beginning, does it honestly get better? I'm having a hard time getting really into it.

Seras

At the moment, I'm really into "The Dark Tower" series by King. If you like Sci-fi//fantasy I would suggest C.S. Freidman's Coldfire Trilogy. As for murder mysteries my mom really like Patricia Cornwell's work so maybe you could check her out.

have fun :D

Stewart

If you like murder mystery then I suggest The Name Of The Rose by Umberto Eco. It's hard going (especially when Adso of Melk starts examining a door) but ultimately satisfying. The two main monks of the novel were based on Sherlock Holmes. Like House Of Leaves, mentioned above, it's inspired in part by Jorge Luis Borges, the Argentinian philosopher and writer.

ruksak

I also highly recommend Haruki Murakami - try The Wind-up Bird Chronicles first - which has one of the best openings I've ever read. Also, try Paul Auster if you haven't already - writes very meaningful, fascinating books in a semi-pseudo-detective genre. Kick off with Leviathan or New York Trilogy - you will not be disappointed.

L

LonSharkin51

It's not really a mystery story, but one of the best books I've read in the last couple of years is "Barney's Version" by a Canadian author named Mordecai Richler. It's hysterically funny, and there's a mystery weaved into it that makes for a very satisfying ending. It's a little obscure as far as books go, but definitely worth tracking down.