Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Longest Short story (1 Viewer)

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
How long is your longest short story and how long did it take for you to write? Apparently short stories are anything above 1,000 words anything below that is flash fiction? There is also novella and novelette but for the sake of keeping me sane, lets just call anything not "novel length" a "short story."
lets just go with anything below 50k..

Terry D

Retired Supervisor
There are actually pretty concrete definitions ofr the different formats. You can find some variations to the definitions, but here's a general idea.

Short Stories: up to 7,500 words
Novellettes: 7,500 - 17,000
Novellas: 17,000 - 40,000
Novels: 40,000 + words

The longest short story I've written clocked it at about 7,400 words.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
There are actually pretty concrete definitions ofr the different formats. You can find some variations to the definitions, but here's a general idea.

Short Stories: up to 7,500 words
Novellettes: 7,500 - 17,000
Novellas: 17,000 - 40,000
Novels: 40,000 + words

The longest short story I've written clocked it at about 7,400 words.
Thanks! I was getting different info so I was like anything under 50k. (Because I was told 50k isn't really a novel length)

Tiamat

Patron
My longest short story (according to the info provided by Terry) was about 7,000 words. I was pretty much only writing on the weekends at the time, so it took about a month or so to finish.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
7960 words.

Two weeks to spew the 12,000 word original. Five more weeks to whittle into shape and shoehorn into the venue's 8,000 word short story limit.

So, seven weeks from "go" to prime time.
Were you entering a contest that had a limit on it?

robertn51

Friends of WF
Were you entering a contest that had a limit on it?

Nope. Just a short story submission.

Like @Terry D noted, they had their own predetermined brackets delimiting their particular classification for works.

Shorts were 8000 down to 1001 words. Shorter works, Flash, went into a different channel. And longer, Novella, went into another.

This was, by design, to be a Short Story submission, so I made it short.

It was actually a fun and extremely instructive exercise to successfully and thoroughly flense My Precious.

Terry D

Retired Supervisor
Thanks! I was getting different info so I was like anything under 50k. (Because I was told 50k isn't really a novel length)
Just for kicks, check out this list of famous books and their word counts:

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Just for kicks, check out this list of famous books and their word counts:

Thanks, it gave me a lot of perspective. I hear, even from traditionally published authors about standard word counts. Honestly that should be the last thing on my mind. I need to focus on just telling a story :)

Story Unlikely

17k (technically a novellette?) . It took me a couple years on and off to finish =) wrote it specifically for writers of the future contest. Still waiting to hear back, probably another honorably mention :s

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
You'll find guideline lengths for various genres. Juveniles and YA tend toward the shorter lengths. Romances and mystery are often shorter than sci-fi and fantasy.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
6,000 words for one short story is the most I attempted to date. 5,000 is the most realistic one that I will get probably published, but with a lot of effort revising it and since it is a perfect market fit for two places.

Last edited:

Lawless

longest short story and how long did it take for you to write
31 549 characters, or 4228 words if you prefer. However, it should become about 1.2 times longer when translated into English.
I believe to remember it didn't take very long to write, because I had a very clear idea how the story should go. Maybe a couple of weeks, an hour or two on most days?? Just a wild guess.

JBF

Staff member
Global Moderator
To date, the record sits at four words shy of 10K.

It's probably unpublishable.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
You'll find guideline lengths for various genres. Juveniles and YA tend toward the shorter lengths. Romances and mystery are often shorter than sci-fi and fantasy.
For YA I was told 70,000 to 90,000 generally but I saw on the list some were under 70,000

Backstroke_Italics

The definition of novel length varies by context, and over time (it used to be possible to publish a 30k word "novel," but nowadays the kids depand around 70k for a short novel). If you're looking to trad-publish a novel, you'll need something much longer than if you're self-publishing. There's a voracious appetite on Amazon for novelas/short novels, but I rarely see these individually published by established publishers anymore.