Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Little plot brainstorm--what would you ever store with a prisoner? (1 Viewer)

Crooked Bird

I hope this is the right place to post a small brainstorm question. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Suppose you're holding someone prisoner. You're a sort of successful guerilla organization in a legal limbo where, basically, most people recognize your authority to do that kind of thing but you don't have really official facilities yet. So you put him in a volunteer's securely-locked-from-the-outside garage, inside a gated courtyard, guarded by a fierce dog and said volunteer & his son. The prisoner's cooperative and repentant, he agrees that his crime was unforgivable, but he'd grab any chance to escape b/c he doesn't want to die.

Thing is, I need there to be barely room in the garage for the prisoner's bed. A garage is bigger than that... so I'm thinking, oh, it's cramped b/c there's storage boxes in there. But who stores stuff with a prisoner? What do you value enough to put in a place that locks... but not enough to keep out of the hands of someone you've locked up? (I mention how cooperative the guy is b/c in fact he's not going to sabotage anything just out of vengefulness, but it's an obvious risk they'd have to think of... and they wouldn't want to risk him finding objects he could potentially use to escape, either.) Can you think of anything that would fit that category?? (A car is Right Out...)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I don't see why a car is out? A locked car is pretty safe without a key or any tools.

My garage has a lot of spare bits of wood and plasterboard, I guess anything you don't want to get wet, books, old bank statements and receipts and invoices, an empty filing cabinet, other pieces of furniture you don't want to use but are too good to throw away, old bikes with flat tires, a pram/pushchair from a now grown child, unused white goods, or even a freezer in use, our tumble drier is in the garage. You don't say where this is, most people in first world countries have 'Stuff' coming out of their ears, if it is third world it might be more difficult, a market stall?

JBF

Staff member
Board Moderator
Spare CONEX box? They come in varying sizes, are pretty well universal in the present day, and there's very little chance of an escape.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I don't know why, but for some reason boxes of unused ballots came to mind. Could there have been some sort or election that had just occurred or is about to?

But it would be interesting to tie the contents into the plot. Is there something about his crime that would involve boxes of printed materials?

Crooked Bird

I don't see why a car is out? A locked car is pretty safe without a key or any tools.

Oh, but you can scratch the paint job all to heck with a pebble, though. Even if he wouldn't do it, you don't necessarily want to assume that, I figure? If it's your car, I mean.

You ask good questions about where this is. I really ought to have told you in the first place, but I have a habit of not doing so b/c the group I'm working with has such an image that people make assumptions and don't always allow their thinking to go past the movies they've seen and down into what would make practical sense. It's the French Resistance, but like, the very unglamorous rural small-town resistance (aka Maquis) in a backwater region. Which, like I said, they've just about established full control of at this point in the story (August 1944) which is also not something people commonly think of... there weren't many regions that liberated themselves ahead of the Allied advance, but this was one.

I think garages were less common and newer in that time, so there might not be quite such an accumulation of random stuff, but if I picture it as, say, a garage that used to be a carriage-house in the old days, a buildup like what you describe would be quite possible, really...

And thanks so much for answering, and sorry it took me awhile to come back. Yesterday got busy & then an early start at work...

Crooked Bird

Spare CONEX box? They come in varying sizes, are pretty well universal in the present day, and there's very little chance of an escape.
Oh, that's really good! Unfortunately not for me, though. I have to establish the possibility of escape, for reasons, even though the escape won't go through. That's why I'm tying myself in knots about garages and stuff... there has to be a key for someone to find. Nuff said!

Crooked Bird

I don't know why, but for some reason boxes of unused ballots came to mind. Could there have been some sort or election that had just occurred or is about to?

But it would be interesting to tie the contents into the plot. Is there something about his crime that would involve boxes of printed materials?
I kind of love this, and I think it makes total sense that you thought of it given the group's newfound control over the region... elections ought to be next! I'd have to do some research to see if that actually happened in this case, but I'll keep it in mind. Though his crime couldn't really be connected to it, that I can think of...