Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Life in the slow lane (1 Viewer)

JustRob

FoWF
WF Veterans
God makes the rules man...

But wouldn't yours be at least the second ark anyway, so who's counting?

It's not that I need to be typing this as such. It's only that I've just finished reassembling my wireless mouse after doing some surgery with a soldering iron to fix its malfunctions and I needed something to test it with. Of course I do have a second mouse, two of everything being very much a necessity, but that one isn't wireless. It must be a gender thing I suppose.

P.S.
God said that you could have two Ferraris? Really?

LeeC

WF Veterans
In the vein of “much of what is said has already been said,” all this reminds me of the contradictions of human intelligence.

Life moved, as inconstant and fickle as Wind Baby, frolicking, sleeping, weeping, but never truly still. Never solid or finished. Always like water flowing from one place to the next. Seed and fruit. Rain and drought, everything traveled in a gigantic circle, an eternal process of becoming something new. But we rarely saw it. Humans tended to see only frozen moments, not the flow of things.” ~ Kathleen O'Neal Gear, Bone Walker

Sadly, one of the aspects our horse-blinkers obscure is:
"Nature facilitates but does not excuse the ignorance of excesses." ~ L. G. Cullens

Why we ignore this likely has something to do with:
"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion." ~ Dale Carnegie

Thus, we have the situation:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain

leading to:
"Ultimate hubris is trashing our little blue canoe.
Fundamental insecurity is turning a blind eye." ~ L. G. Cullens

So as a much missed WF member noted:
"With all those brains we paved paradise and put up a parking lot." ~ R. Hal Watson

And we are left knowing but not comprehending:
"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." ~ Isaac Asimov

Back to my illustrating :)

LeeC

WF Veterans
More natural garden

Couldn’t get around well today to take pics of individual plants, but this from the deck is my natural garden (forest edge ecosystem) this year. My idea of walking the walk versus only talking the talk.

In the lower right is one of many American Plum trees which is fruiting for the first time this year. An example of teenage experimentation :) Peeping out just above the plum tree is a Shagbark Hickory, They don’t get mature enough to begin to fruit for around forty years. Lower center its one of many hazelnut bushes that are fruiting for the second year. I’d try to identify more of the hundreds of plants for you, but would likely bore you. You’d be surprised though, at how stimulating it can be to have an idea of all the ecological processes that are going on.

It saddens me I can’t get out there more, as the plants and my canine companion are the best company one could ask for. In the fall though, the deck is the safest place to be, with everything ripened and the black bears coming in to fatten up.

I’ve left instructions that my ashes be spread here, so I can haunt anyone that thinks of clearing the land ;-)

[click to enlarge]
Natural Garden 2017 copy.jpg

Kevin

WF Veterans
Natural garden ... mmm. I have one of those. I'm on the edge of one the greatest-excuse me- largest human infestations on the planet. The steel blade of the cat has scraped and obliterated everything; but not here. Lack of affluence.. poor property values and a wonderous glitch in zoning left this little portion which at one time was known as Dogpatch ( lil' Abner you Americaphiles) inhibiting standard tract-building. I have nature ( not the unnatural) in my yard. No Austrailian , South African, European mediteraeneans or other parts unknown exotic sub-tropicals for me. And I'm spreading like a virus. I wish to infect the minds of my kind to bring back what was here. Slaughter the invaders. Kill the intruders. Go native, grab your machete, hack them whack them, tear them out. Go to the hills and gather seed. Restore the habitat. Nature is where it's at...

LeeC

WF Veterans
Hey Kev, something to rankle your day :) Our “Live Free or Die” esteemed governor, in trying to distance the stare from the Paris Climate Agreement, stated that the two most polluting states are California and New York. Rankings vary by source of course, but I don’t know of any halfway reliable source and criteria where either are even in the top ten.

More fodder for the sheep, like the school choice bit. At least that had some merit in challenging public schools to do better, but given who’s pushing the agenda it’s obvious there’s chicanery afoot.

Progress is measured by the speed at which we destroy the conditions that sustain life.” ~ George Monbiot

Or to put it in a more positive way:

Ecological awareness expands the context of life; it also enlarges who we are as a person.” ~ Richard J. Borden

haribol

Whenever I have anxieties the place I choose to relax is a forest. The reason is only in the forest and nowhere else can I slow my pace and relax. Even if I slow my pace in my house or in the city something outside compels me to speed up and as a result my fatigues grow tenfold. In the forest I can breathe in a lot of oxygen that revitalizes my deadened organs and freshens my exhausted body and refreshes my mental conditions. There alone can I find my presence and feel what is these days popularly called a state of mindfulness.

JustRob

FoWF
WF Veterans
Time to mention my novel, of course. Readers regard it as primarily a science fiction story but we all need to spend some time in the slow lane. Here's a relevant extract.

‘Any sign of John yet?’ came Adrian’s voice on the intercom.

Graham checked the monitors. ‘No boss. His car’s outside but he’s probably talking to the trees. It could be another sprint finish this morning.’

John Charman wasn’t talking to anything. He was standing silently with his binoculars to his eyes watching a bird on the edge of the woodland near the security fence. It was a wryneck, not a rare bird but uncommon enough and so well camouflaged that it could easily be missed with its habit of staying quite still and relying on its patterned plumage to hide it. He hadn’t seen one in the wood before, so it was probably just a visitor passing through on its way to Africa. He lowered the binoculars and looked at the trees by the fence. The finances were suffering from cutbacks but apparently the trees weren’t. Some branches were reaching over the fence and could be a security risk. No doubt the fairies would report the problem sometime. Although the wood seemed to be typically English it wasn’t. In some parts there were cedars and other imported species amongst the ancient oak and beech. In the past someone must have laid it out as ornamental rides for some great estate and now nature had taken it back, imposing a greater reality on it. That was why he walked there in the morning, to air his soul in that reality before entering the unreal world of office work. He turned and headed back towards the Pumpkin in the depth of the wood. To one side a mature tree which had been felled by a storm years before lay rotting slowly in the deep leaf litter, but it hadn’t died. Enough roots remained in the ground to sustain some of the branches, which now grew vertically up from the trunk like a row of new saplings. The grim reaper harvested this deciduous landscape regularly, but compared to animals plants had a different attitude to death and an ambiguous view of individuality. With no-one to tend the trees in what had once been someone’s impression of Eden they were ignoring all the conventional boundaries.

He moved quietly for a large man, but not so silently that the creatures around weren’t aware of him. He noticed the head of a green woodpecker peering round the trunk of a tree at him. As he walked the wary bird edged around the tree to stay out of sight. Everything in this wood had secrets to keep, the animals and birds, the fairies outside the Pumpkin and the staff inside.

In fact this episode is very reminiscent of my own activities when I worked in an office in Tunbridge Wells. The local common there reaches well into the centre of town and I would drive to work, park my car in the office car park and then walk out around the wooded common with my binoculars for maybe an hour. At that time in the morning while most people were busy beginning their everyday activities I would see the wildlife still about its own, foxes trotting along the woodland rides and once a group of rarely seen bullfinches in the trees. Those morning excursions gave me exercise and a reminder of reality, setting me up for another dose of the unreality of office life and the abstract world of computer software creation.

Our office was next to the hospital and very close to the nurses' residence there, which had its own open air swimming pool visible from the windows of our top floor. Some of our staff did wonder why I carried a pair of Zeiss miniature folding binoculars in my jacket pocket, but that wasn't actually the reason at all. There are many sorts of wildlife in the world.

LeeC

WF Veterans
Missing the point

One of my most retweeted posts on Twitter follows. There are some that miss the point though. One person responded "My God is visible, and provides nature for our enjoyment. You are just plain silly Hubert."

I didn't respond in turn because everybody has a right to whatever belief system helps them deal with life. It saddens me greatly though, when some bury their head in the sand so far they can't see how we are trashing the world our children will have to get by in. What I care about is reality, and seeing the reality of what we are doing to our little blue canoe makes me wonder how much we really care for our children. That's the point for anyone that might take exception to some of the words.

DFOckXCVwAAklLx.png-large.jpg

LeeC

WF Veterans
I noticed a post on social media where they were talking about rising water levels in the UK. They included the following image as an example. Good gosh, is this accurate? :)

DBoeKxhXsAAkCDE.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: sas

JustRob

FoWF
WF Veterans
I noticed a post on social media where they were talking about rising water levels in the UK. They included the following image as an example. Good gosh, is this accurate? :)

View attachment 19085

Yes, it is, and for the many poor souls whose homes have been repeatedly flooded it is not something that they can smile about. Much money is being spent on flood defences all over the country, but they often prove inadequate.

LeeC

WF Veterans
Yes, it is, and for the many poor souls whose homes have been repeatedly flooded it is not something that they can smile about. Much money is being spent on flood defences all over the country, but they often prove inadequate.
Wasn't trying to make lite of anyone's misfortune, but was rather humorously referring to the great white in the image.

LeeC

WF Veterans
Today the wife dragged me down to Massachusetts for a "surprise" birthday party. Attending were a few of us long in the tooth, some with sharp tongues, a slew of intermediate in-laws, and an uncountable hoard of screaming great grandchildren. Not to mention that what I saw of Massachusetts after all these years was a far cry from the peacefulness of the woods where I live. I'd have rather spent the day with my daughter and grandson in the quiet Maine woods.

Wasn't a total loss though as some old friends were there, and the wife clearly put a lot of loving effort into the occasion. Also, though there is a deep divide among the in-laws, not a single political reference was uttered. 

I did enjoy seeing the wife's parents agin, who are in their nineties. A picture of me with them follows:

WFLeonPearlLee2017 reduced.jpg

The wife did surprise me with my favorite cake, carrot cake with real cream cheese icing, not that mostly sugar blend.

WFBDayCake2017 reduced.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread