Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Life in the slow lane (1 Viewer)

TuesdayEve

Friends of WF
Dear Plasticweld,
I have also thought of driving as a metaphor of life.
Imagining peoples driving habits and choices onthe
road as reflections of their their choices in life.
Some are in a hurry or impatient and scurry weaving
in and out of traffic.
Others stay in one lane consistantly at one speed
playing it safe as the world drives past them. And
still others are oblivious to the world around them
yet maintain a herd mentality safety in the pack.
It’s interesting....I wonder if it’s true...
As for my self...Im all of the above. Depends on my
mood or if I’m working. If I’m poeming, I maintain
the herd. Get behind a semi and cruise the speed
limit. At work all the rules apply. Going to work in
the morning.... a little faster.

Kevin

WF Veterans
At the end of it, the end of the day, eight or ten, or twelve hours after the coffee (...has long since peed out) I'm driving, and I feel sleepy. The punk rock, or the classic rock, or the Jazz, classical blasting are not enough to keep me from nodding. But I don't completely nod yet. I still have to get home where there's more stuff to do. Like eat, and sleep, get up, and go to work.

Last edited:

LeeC

WF Veterans
At the end of it, the end of the day, eight or ten, or twelve hours after the coffee (...has long since peed out) I'm driving, and I feel sleepy. The punk rock, or the classic rock, or the Jazz, classical blasting are not enough to keep me from nodding. But I don't completely nod yet. I still have to get home where there's more stuff to do. Like eat, and sleep, get up, and go to work.
Not to diminish what you have to do, but I remember all that with a mix of sadness and irony. Getting by on six hours sleep, commuting ninety miles to Boston, several times a month then catching a flight to NYC, always watching your back in the corporate jungles I interacted with. Looking back it seems like such a waste of time. Something I realized just after I turned fifty, and retired from it all to pursue my woodworking, artwork, and natural gardening. A hand to mouth existence, but much more peaceful.

Hey, I practiced riding a bicycle today in preparation for getting my own again. I practiced with my wife's bicycle (she's 4'11") and my knees kept hitting me in the chin :)

My best wishes to you.

LeeC

WF Veterans
Bits and pieces:

“If time travel is possible, where are the tourists from the future?” ~ Stephen Hawking
I might question that maybe they’ve learned to learn from history, and have no desire to see our mistakes first hand ;-)

A couple oldies:

"The Lady From Shanghai" Funhouse mirrors 1947 HD
https://youtu.be/F-BqDWG72iM

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? Official Trailer #1 - Bruce Dern Movie (1969) HD
https://youtu.be/ke-sWMXspNA

A couple of books that have jumped to the top of my reading list.

An interesting book to read in these challenging times.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1250163757/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bi0e7-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=1250163757&linkId=45b57a09e7da754f1996a88c4f7eee1a

And this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0451497899/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bi0e7-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=0451497899&linkId=3b2e1f1501da37e5d6fc268333ab8bd8

Kevin

WF Veterans
Bits and pieces:

“If time travel is possible, where are the tourists from the future?” ~ Stephen Hawking
I might question that maybe they’ve learned to learn from history, and have no desire to see our mistakes first hand ;-)

A couple oldies:

"The Lady From Shanghai" Funhouse mirrors 1947 HD
https://youtu.be/F-BqDWG72iM

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? Official Trailer #1 - Bruce Dern Movie (1969) HD
https://youtu.be/ke-sWMXspNA

A couple of books that have jumped to the top of my reading list.

An interesting book to read in these challenging times.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1250163757/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bi0e7-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=1250163757&linkId=45b57a09e7da754f1996a88c4f7eee1a

And this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0451497899/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bi0e7-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=0451497899&linkId=3b2e1f1501da37e5d6fc268333ab8bd8
hadn't heard of lady from Shanghai. My first reaction was wow, who's that actress? Beautiful...
I remember they shoot horses.

LeeC

WF Veterans
hadn't heard of lady from Shanghai. My first reaction was wow, who's that actress? Beautiful...
I remember they shoot horses.
You've probably already looked it up, and maybe even recognized Orson Wells in his younger days, but how could you not know Rita Hayworth, dubbed "The Love Goddess." Her first film role was in the 1920s, but her last film role was in 1972 (a very forgettable western).

Glenn Ford and Hayworth in Gilda (1946)
Gilda_trailer_rita_hayworth2.jpg

Kevin

WF Veterans
I watched a YouTube interview that came up right after of director Peter Bogdonavich discussing the movie, as well as Orsin Wells ( whom he knew/was friends with), Wells' marriage to Hayworth, and proffesional status ( blacklisted by W. R. Hearst), Wells' unique take on things ( camera angle) and how Wells just shot things how he saw them, not even being aware that others found those angles odd. Unique voice I guess describes him, and something like David Lynch to my mind, but different, of course. I know of Bogdonavich because he directed the Last Picture Show, which I think is great movie (so many elements I find so good). He shot it in black and white! Anyway...

LeeC

WF Veterans
I get up from my computer and start towards the kitchen. Odd how my path is so blurry. A moment’s hesitation . . . Damn, I’ve got the wrong glasses on again.

LeeC

WF Veterans
Thoughts like these blow on the winds like dust,
lodging in the eyes of those that don’t wear horse blinkers.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Fatigue
In the wake
of hatred
A calm marred
by remorse
A past that's
been rewritten
A future
far off course.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Jeffrey F. Barken
@JeffreyFBarken

LeeC

WF Veterans
Those that entice you to think and broaden your perspective are my kind of writers.

The most common, and without fail the most frustrating, question asked of any writer is, ‘Where do you get your ideas?’ The image here explains much.

[FONT=&Verdana]We write what we know. Or those of us who carry the true passion for our work, do at least. “ ~ R. Lee Tipton

[/FONT]
Tipton.jpg

cacian

take a deep breath and remember life without you is a wreck.
be the hero that saves it from becoming a zero. :):encouragement:

Last edited:

LeeC

WF Veterans
In the summer of 2017, there was a porcupine family (among other critters) residing in my natural garden. The mother wandered out to the road and was run over by some excuse for a human (clear daylight on a long straight stretch with a 30mph speed limit). I worried about the young ones getting on, but didn’t interfere.

Happily, this 2018 summer there was another porcupine family in residence. Likely the mother is one of the youngsters from the previous family. Following is a picture I took today of one of the new youngsters. There are other critters of course, but I don’t get close to skunks or the occasional black bear, and others understandably shy away from me. As it should be.

Am I sentimental — maybe a little. The real point, is that as a naturalist I understand that our own existence is dependent on Nature’s biodiversity.

[click to enlarge]
PYshare.jpg

LeeC

WF Veterans
First snow of the season. If it snows as much this winter as it has rained the latter half of the summer and fall, we’ll be buried before February.
The tracks in the snow this morning are from an adult porcupine, headed back to its burrow underneath the woodshed.

Thankfully we’re not having the problems California is.

SnowTracks.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread