Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Life in the slow lane (1 Viewer)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Olly, please feel free to relocate to The States, and bring your grandkids. Our kids are more likely to die from gun fire than anything else. Local grandmother on Sunday accidentally blew away her grandchild, barely missing another below when bullets went through the floor. I had that happen visiting friend who pulled hand gun out of drawer. Shot went through floor. A highly trained county sheriff, no less. Had to check condo unit below to make sure no one dead. Yep, we need more guns. Oh, and teacher last week accidentally hit two kids in another State. Last Thursday, my high school granddaughter spent hour at school in a closet when threat phoned in. Here nothing is thought a prank, cause we get the real deal. Come on over. Back to The Wild West, only now men are boys. Bang, bang...your kid is dead. Or, actually, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.....in seconds. Gotta love the efficiency of an AR-15.

I have thought it might be good to visit relatives in rural Arizona, my cousin Elma was a secretaty at the US embassy in London when I was a little boy and a firm friend of the family. Apart from that I have never fancied any sort of visit to America, there is some lovely natural country, but so is there lots of places. There are probably people I have no desire to meet everywhere, the disadvantage of America is they speak English. :)

LeeC

WF Veterans
You've made a very good point there LeeC.

Learn to love and appreciate what you have eh?
Maybe I just need to gain/cultivate, whatever, a more realistic perspective.

One way of putting it :) I got there slowly by assessing what I valued, and appreciating the real value that I found. Maybe it was easier for me, introduced to a different way of thinking in my childhood. At my present point in life, my residence is an 1870s farmhouse that I'm hoping will hold out another few years, or decade, until I pass, and living simply on a meager social security income. At the same time I have a wonderful wife, canine companions that keep me grounded in the real world, and enough land for sizable organic and natural gardens, not to mention being able to observe all the wildlife that the natural garden attracts. Though it's been a long struggle, I'm also back to walking a mile a day so far, and the woods around me are a real pleasure. Yes, my cup has a few cracks in it, but it holds all the joy I need :)

Also, though I see so much hate and ignorance around me, I see youth catching on to how little a good many adults care about their future, and trying to break the downward cycle of humanity. There were a lot of songs and free love in the '60s, then so many sold out and became part of the problem. The kids today though are learning a harsher truth, and I hope they can break the downward cycle.

Take care dither, there's still beauty in this world :)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Ah yes, the wildlife that visits the garden, the pigeons that tear up the brassicas, the woodlice and badger that eat the strawberries, the birds that pull up onion sets to see what they are, the mice that eat peas before they get the chance to germinate, and so on, and on.
Mind you there was also a charm of goldfinches the other week, eating the seeds on the rudbeccia that had stood over winter, and robin and blackbird are quite keen on keeping things like leatherjuackets under control. I need something tht would fancy the blackfly I know will come on my broad beans, save me getting out there with the shaving brush and soap to see the wildlife off :)

LeeC

WF Veterans
In that vein Olly, you could always use Roundup and help increase Monsanto’s profits, the corporation our US government has exempted from environmental lawsuits ;-) But the tip of the glyphosate** iceberg is a 90% decline of Monarch butterflies in the last twenty years. Who needs them anyway?

Seriously though, in my organic garden I include beer trays and old rusty nails, a little chalk dust, cucumber slices when I have an excess, and plant such as petunias, marigolds, chrysanthemums, lavender, and mints like catnip. The mints do add to "weeding" though, because they spread quickly. Spice/food plants also help, like basil, rosemary, and alliums. None of this is 100% effective, but hey, without insect biodiversity the biosphere that sustains us would crash. So share the wealth of abundance and be thankful :)

** As a side note, my wife attended a "wellness" seminar where they had a door prize she won. The prize was a bottle of California wine, all of which have been found to contain glyphosate despite the vineyards not using Roundup. I think of it as Nature's version of "what comes around goes around."

The argument for our "green revolution" artificial agrochemicals and -cides is that we're feeding a starving world. That's as lame as the NRA's manipulation, because we only feed those that can pay.

You should know better than to get me started Olly :)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
There is an element of truth in that the world is mostly getting fed, despite huge population increases, but I think it has more to do with plant breeding and genetic manipulation than chemicals, things like wheat that bears three ears.

nudge nudge. :)

LeeC

WF Veterans
At my point in life, the circle of friends and acquaintances is diminishing faster than I can make new ones.

A friend and next door neighbor has passed on. Marilyn J. Ziffrin, Aug. 7, 1926 - Mar. 16, 2018. May she rest in peace. There was always a melody in the woods when she was around. If her name doesn't ring a bell, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_J._Ziffrin

Reactions: sas

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I don't know the book, but it looks interesting. The missus works at the library so I will get her to order it, ecologically sound to share these things :)

sas

WF Veterans
At my point in life, the circle of friends and acquaintances is diminishing faster than I can make new ones.

A friend and next door neighbor has passed on. Marilyn J. Ziffrin, Aug. 7, 1926 - Mar. 16, 2018. May she rest in peace. There was always a melody in the woods when she was around. If her name doesn't ring a bell, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_J._Ziffrin

I often avoid reading the news now, but cannot miss the obituaries. A certain age requires it, if we care at all about those who occupied our lives. I read your friend’s bio. So accomplished. And, it lays to rest the notion that first cousins should not marry, as it impairs their children. Sorry for your loss.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
And, it lays to rest the notion that first cousins should not marry, as it impairs their children.

I don't think anyone serious suggests this is an inevitable consequence, but the chances of two individuals sharing the same recessive gene increase with cosanguinity. There must be a small number of close relatives who share no detrimental genes. The odds are long, but it is all chance.

Kevin

WF Veterans
We have some inbreds in my neighborhood. No, seriously... these three families been here since the dust bowl. And they're all intermarried. I've been here for twenty-eight years and I'm still a newcomer. We outnumber them, though.

escorial

WF Veterans
We have some inbreds in my neighborhood. No, seriously... these three families been here since the dust bowl. And they're all intermarried. I've been here for twenty-eight years and I'm still a newcomer. We outnumber them, though.

royal families were well into it until the bloodlines started going a bit of...you can't have a sick royal...hopefully the new american blood will help our royal family to get rid of baldness,no chins an bad teeth....

LeeC

WF Veterans
Too late esc.

Headline: Entire UK to be deported for not keeping all their paperwork.
From the UK site, the Daily Mash. :)

“EVERYONE is being deported to the Caribbean because they cannot produce an insane amount of paperwork proving they are British.”

“Anyone without detailed information about jobs they did in 1975 or who cannot find their birth certificate is being rounded up by the authorities, who will deport themselves later on.”

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron

Round here they would call you 'blowins'. There was a conversation with an old boy in the last village we were in 35 years ago.
"You ever had a proper job?"
"I've had a few proper jobs"
Laughs, "How can you have a few? No,I mean a proper job,like me joining the butcher's as appretice when I left schoolat 14 and worked there 'til I was 65."

I didn't have an answer to that. Times change, I don't think the village has a butcher's shop any more.

LeeC

WF Veterans
wish someone would ask me to produce my lost passport so i could be deported to the carribean
Another excerpt from the story:
“Millions of Britons are currently being herded onto ships bound for the Caribbean despite concern about where they will live, how they will survive and whether it is ‘really hot and sticky’.”

There’s also an “article” about a man that said he’d make any sacrifice for Brexit. That from a man who gets upset if his boiled egg isn’t just right :)

I’m not picking on the UK esc. It’s just that the hate, selfishness, ignorance, and their many shills here are beyond funny anymore. We have an epidemic of evolutionary regressive mutations here. Hope you understand :)

escorial

WF Veterans
Another excerpt from the story:
“Millions of Britons are currently being herded onto ships bound for the Caribbean despite concern about where they will live, how they will survive and whether it is ‘really hot and sticky’.”

There’s also an “article” about a man that said he’d make any sacrifice for Brexit. That from a man who gets upset if his boiled egg isn’t just right :)

I’m not picking on the UK esc. It’s just that the hate, selfishness, ignorance, and their many shills here are beyond funny anymore. We have an epidemic of evolutionary regressive mutations here. Hope you understand :)

this is why we drink tea an eat cucumber sandwiches so we can ponder why other people don't play cricket....our queen is ordained by god and all his portraits make him look very english in appearence..an the king james bible is a hit so we can forgive our sins an all the rest of the worlds..i forgive you LC

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Waited over an hour at The Prince of Kent in Hawkhurst for two curries and rice last night, talk about slow lane, you could die of starvation in there while the takeaways fly out of the door. Enough to give you indigestion.

Amber Rudd is the MP for Hastings just down the road, fifty years since I ws involved in politics, but she has me angry enough to give the labour party time for handing out leaflets for the up-coming council elections. She had a majority of only a bit over 400 last time, she will look at the council results and know she is on a loser next time, if she doesn't have to go for lying through her teeth.

Users who are viewing this thread