Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Life in the slow lane (1 Viewer)

sas

WF Veterans
I actually admit I'm a white male heterosexual (sounds evil when you put in words, don't it?):evil:

Only if you are young and American. Then I'd keep an eye out for your AR-15. It's part of their get-up. They used to use cars to show off like a penis. Dick heads are everywhere here.

Kevin

WF Veterans
I almost feel like arguing. Luckily, I forgot what I was gonna say. Say... Coffee sounds good right now. Oh, I did brew a pot. Damn, good thing I don't smoke pot, because then I'd really be... what was I gonna say? Never mind. I sure could use a cup a --

• Haha
Reactions: sas

Kevin

WF Veterans
Was listening to that Jordan Peterson. He started off well and then started making all these extrapalatory pronouncements. "...Zie, zur, zim..." They do sound kinda Nazi to me, but, what the hell- young people are wiser and more evolved, I guess I could go with it. From now on I'm Emperor Zit. Call me that or else. That's my identity. Any jokes about popping and you'll get popped.

• Haha
Reactions: sas

JustRob

FoWF
WF Veterans
We went to a garden centre today, the weather being more spring-like now after the passing of "the Beast" that brought much of the country to a standstill last week. Among the items that we bought was a pair of lawn edging shears. As they were sharp cutting equipment the assistant at the checkout asked me half jokingly whether I was over age twenty-five, a sign of the times in which we live. When we went out into the car park we stepped over a long hose which was supplying water to some industrious youths just around the corner providing a "car wash while you park" service. With the long-handled shears over my shoulder I mentioned, hopefully more than half jokingly, to my angel that I was tempted to cut the hose, it not even being necessary to bend down to do so. Are such thoughts expected to vanish magically when one reaches age twenty-five then? I must be a slow developer then, now being in my seventies. I didn't do it of course. Times are hard for young people trying to earn a living now. I was that young once in far easier times.

LeeC

WF Veterans
We went to a garden centre today, the weather being more spring-like now after the passing of "the Beast" that brought much of the country to a standstill last week. Among the items that we bought was a pair of lawn edging shears. As they were sharp cutting equipment the assistant at the checkout asked me half jokingly whether I was over age twenty-five, a sign of the times in which we live. When we went out into the car park we stepped over a long hose which was supplying water to some industrious youths just around the corner providing a "car wash while you park" service. With the long-handled shears over my shoulder I mentioned, hopefully more than half jokingly, to my angel that I was tempted to cut the hose, it not even being necessary to bend down to do so. Are such thoughts expected to vanish magically when one reaches age twenty-five then? I must be a slow developer then, now being in my seventies. I didn't do it of course. Times are hard for young people trying to earn a living now. I was that young once in far easier times.

Judging by the limits we're being pushed, such thoughts don't diminish, but rather hopefully become more reasoned. You caught me at a bad time. I was thinking about how much our current administration is dismantling what little progress we've made in caring for the world our children will have to get by in. I'm tempted to take up arms if that would help, but the reasoned side of me says they're digging their own grave. Continuing on this path of excesses of so-called pleasure and profit now, screw our children's future, is going to bring about either an uprising or extinction.

It's not only our political leadership, but a good many of the populace when one includes the sheep with their head in the sand. This whole myth of human intelligence is an obvious joke when one goes to the grocery store to buy organic foods in plastic bags. Heck, add enough sugar and the sheep will eat anything. Show me how that exemplifies intelligence.

There is hope to get us through our few remaining years though. Your post brought to mind that I've gotten a lot of thoughtful positive feedback on social media relative to my piece The Book Of Passing, especially from younger people that will suffer the consequences.

And we wonder the whys with horse blinkers on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Book of Passing
By L. G. Cullens 2017

Yet again in the cycles of rebirth a new nation was born,
a phoenix of aristocratical oppression in a new land.
Intent on the ideals of freedom and equality for all,
oblivious to the seeds of discordance in native genocide.

Lo in attendance was a great and mighty God.
One whose words written by man allow exegesis.
So defended, the colonizers actions intensified,
propelling the new nation towards divined greatness.

Thusly ancient tenets were new abroached,
nourishing crops with the blood of enemies.
And as the populace vanquishing foes were attainted,
divisions arose within as to equality for who.

A great war was waged within, brother-on-brother,
with the leader of the nation championing equality.
The majority’s conscience was abated in victory,
albeit in part by blanking out a less noble genocidal role.

The struggle great with resources hard won,
the populace prospered to ever greater heights.
Equality and freedom the bywords of choice,
applying to ever narrowing distinctions as want.

Inevitably the few acquiring extremes of material gain,
flexed their influence with ever increasing tenacity.
And like a cancer, filthy lucre grew amongst the populace,
speeding the spoil, and hastening the plunder.

The excesses of resources plundered for profit,
paradoxically diminishing quality of life for all.
Tenets of ever increasing gain a double paradox,
in the closed loop means of our natural world.

Will our great nation at an apex of pleonexia
cause the upheaval of societal norms yet agin,
or will it be the last in a long succession,
with humankind given over to Charon?

Our natural instincts, taken to overindulgence,
trigger accelerated change in the natural world.
Existing only in a void of reason and conscience,
they evidence the base nature of the beast.

LeeC

WF Veterans
A little something I thought you might like escorial.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/962626380776267776

Oh, and re my previous post this is one of the responses I received today:
“When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you – you know your nation is doomed.” ― Ayn Rand

And on the lighter side, my wife cracked up over a meme showing a woman saying, "I feel safer now after extensive reading, learning that serial killers only go after women with matching bra and panty sets."

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron

Not the thoughts, one is supposed to be responsible enough to restrain oneself. I really don't understand why '25' though, the Kray twins were older than that. Equally I can remember when I was a boy we all wanted to join the scouts because you got a sheath knife, they were going to teach us to be responsible with it. That, surely, is the key, educating people and including them in society, I am told Iceland and Switzerland have the highest rates of gun availability and among the lowest rates of murder in the world.

I see no point in banning something if the people who want it are out to kill with it, fat lot of notice people like that are going to take, education, education, education, one of Tony's more sensible ideas.

BTW Go back to the 1400's and the law required every Englishman to have a sword or large blade for use in timeof war. Not quite so far back men attending Handel's Messiah were asked to leave swords at home because of the crowds, 'If it did not inconvenience them'. Imagine a circumstance where one is 'inconvenienced' by not having the means to kill handy :)

sas

WF Veterans
Olly, please feel free to relocate to The States, and bring your grandkids. Our kids are more likely to die from gun fire than anything else. Local grandmother on Sunday accidentally blew away her grandchild, barely missing another below when bullets went through the floor. I had that happen visiting friend who pulled hand gun out of drawer. Shot went through floor. A highly trained county sheriff, no less. Had to check condo unit below to make sure no one dead. Yep, we need more guns. Oh, and teacher last week accidentally hit two kids in another State. Last Thursday, my high school granddaughter spent hour at school in a closet when threat phoned in. Here nothing is thought a prank, cause we get the real deal. Come on over. Back to The Wild West, only now men are boys. Bang, bang...your kid is dead. Or, actually, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.....in seconds. Gotta love the efficiency of an AR-15.

LeeC

WF Veterans
"Intelligence must be cultivated from one generation to the next. The enabling of the slaughter of children by America points to a gross failure to do so." ~ J.R. MacLean (a Canadian author)

"The consequences of alternate realities ignorance are that we can't even act on our children being murdered in school, let alone care enough for them to care for the world they will have to get by in." ~ L. G. Cullens (not of this world)

Give a big Aaaamen for Dickhead's Triumph.

“The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” ~ Albert Einstein
“Stupidity and greed will kill off humans.” ~ Stephen Hawking

Rat's Ass
by L. G. Cullens

Sadly, too few of us give a rat's ass
about selling our children's future
in a dime on the dollar stupor,
slaves of cupidity that we are.

Our trashing sustaining habitat
and reducing essential biodiversity,
is a garbage dump mentality
we leave our children as a legacy.

Our educational institutions
fervently serve up cultural dogma.
Their focus to empower young minds,
in an artificial human bubble.

Alas, not even Nature gives a rat's ass,
content to move on with new life forms.
It's driven by consequences,
regardless of who is affected.

My apologies to those who employ objective reasoning.

PS Olly and Rob: Have you by chance read the April NG? A fair look at what divides us. We're wired at birth to tell Us from Them and to favor our own kind — a natural world mechanism in a life fueled by life model. Objective science though, tells us perceived differences are nothing more than a very few slightly different genes (adaptive mutations). Except for identical twins, we are all "different." It's a very close race between the differences in human genes, and the differences between human and rat genes (rats and humans share 99% of their genes). Of course we also share 70% of our genes with slugs, and 50% with bananas. As a naturalist I see the same correlation among all life forms — each filling their niche for paradoxically the good of all.

How many read to expand their perspective. The evidence doesn't favor that many.

Kevin

WF Veterans
Shit! I was hoping this was a thread about twilight. Fuck, I love those glowy sparkly vampires! They're so sparkly.

Last edited:

LeeC

WF Veterans
OMG! I ran across this image that's purportedly LA traffic (on the 405(?) I think they said).

I get annoyed when more than a couple cars pass me on my daily local walk. I'd go out of my mind anyplace like the one pictured.

12936731_10207844750491210_5115182746691803293_n.jpg

LeeC

WF Veterans
I forgot to add congrats to PiP, or at least Portugal. They produced more energy that they needed in March, all from renewable sources, and they're phasing out their coal powered plants. Meanwhile, here in the US the fossil fuel barons are still leading the electorate by the nose.

On another note, I apparently have another medical condition:

30728301_2175800862447006_8664910779524317184_n.jpg

Kevin

WF Veterans
OMG! I ran across this image that's purportedly LA traffic (on the 405(?) I think they said).

I get annoyed when more than a couple cars pass me on my daily local walk. I'd go out of my mind anyplace like the one pictured.

View attachment 21557
Yes, 405 looking north, at Sepulveda Pass... like some people here ( okay, women) that photo has been enhanced. The photo is compressed ( that merge in the right lanes forground is about two miles earlier) and they've added lanes. But it does give a true 'feel' of things ( I drove that yesterday, which wasn't so bad, but the day before? Sheesh! Nightmare...)Off to the left you can see the real Getty Museum tram. It's electric. The tram, that is. The Getty Museum is world class. The buildings align with the mountains (the Santa Monicas) J.Paul aligned himself with oil (which only seems appropriate, given all cars) . The museum entrance fee is free. Three days is about what it takes to take it all in. Worth it.

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
Actually reminds me of Stemmons Frwy in Dallas - five lanes north, five south. Of course, if you know a city well enough there are always alternate routes. I always managed to avoid the freeways. I've got a solution though - everyone work from home (applies mainly to office workers). No more your boss looking over your shoulder or going through your desk after you leave. Meetings will be video conferences and you can sip bourbon (or whatever) to take your mind off the mind-numbing idiocy.

dither

WF Veterans
Olly, please feel free to relocate to The States, and bring your grandkids. Our kids are more likely to die from gun fire than anything else. Local grandmother on Sunday accidentally blew away her grandchild, barely missing another below when bullets went through the floor. I had that happen visiting friend who pulled hand gun out of drawer. Shot went through floor. A highly trained county sheriff, no less. Had to check condo unit below to make sure no one dead. Yep, we need more guns. Oh, and teacher last week accidentally hit two kids in another State. Last Thursday, my high school granddaughter spent hour at school in a closet when threat phoned in. Here nothing is thought a prank, cause we get the real deal. Come on over. Back to The Wild West, only now men are boys. Bang, bang...your kid is dead. Or, actually, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.....in seconds. Gotta love the efficiency of an AR-15.

Shocked and amazed.

Users who are viewing this thread