Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Life in the slow lane (1 Viewer)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Something to be aware of. I think I mentioned previously that sometime back I mowed over a ground bee's nest, and they swarmed out covering my legs. I probably mentioned it in relation to the money-grubbing, quasi legal American drug cartel price tag for an EpiPen. Anyway, at the time they administered Prednisone. I learned later from the orthopedic surgeon that the Prednisone was likely a major factor in the increased problems I've had since. Now that's capitalism at it's best, seemingly helping the patient with an immediate problem, and promoting increased future problems to profit from. But hey, it's the holiday season, where we give thanks :)
Prednisolone is something I have been taking since about 1991 since first diagnosed with immune disease. It works as an immuno suppressant, some people have problems from it, I never have, in fact I probably would not be here without it. When the other drugs fail and my immune system flares they have me in and give me a couple of grams intraveinously, that is a huge amount, but the only bad effects I have noticed are a terrible short temper and a round 'moon' face.

LeeC

WF Veterans
Thanks Olly. More evidence we all differ in various ways. I'm happy it keeps you going. With me it apparently has an adverse affect on bone joints like back, hip, and knee, so the doc put a red flag in my medical records.

sas

WF Veterans
Thanks Olly. More evidence we all differ in various ways. I'm happy it keeps you going. With me it apparently has an adverse affect on bone joints like back, hip, and knee, so the doc put a red flag in my medical records.

My daughter has been on Prednisone for 30 years. Has kept her alive, along with many other drugs. She could not function without it. A miracle medication, but it does have its negative side-effects like every med. She has osteoporosis, in her 40s, as result. I did my bone scan this month. Mine scan out as if age 30. I'd gladly trade with her. Gladly.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I had a slight drop in bone density last time I had a bone scan, but alendronic acid and calcium supplements seem to be working even though I amnot as regular with them as the doctor would like. I do make a point of eating calcium rich foods like apricots and almonds, and a fair bit of dairy as we are veggie at home.

LeeC

WF Veterans
I made Xmas ornaments of suet and seeds, and hung them on trees outside the kitchen window. Some low for the wild turkeys and grouse, and others higher for the smaller birds. Makes for something pleasant to watch, and benefits all life.

LeeC

WF Veterans
[FONT=&Verdana]Huddled by the wood stove keeping warm. It’s so damn cold outside I just farted snowflakes.

----

Almost forgot. I came across this and thought it the real beauty in art. All the people [/FONT]
gathering around to see and hear something beautiful.

https://youtu.be/fj6r3-sQr58

Last edited:

sas

WF Veterans
Lee,

I never teared up much when young. I must have been saving it for my older years. Thanks for reminding there is still beauty to be found within people. Sas

LeeC

WF Veterans
Don't know where to post this, so here it is until a moderator moves it.

Are you building an ebook that includes images? I've been rewriting and illustrating my book, and in doing some epub build testing came on a bugger of a problem. It seems Apple has a different idea of handling images (interpreting html and css) in iBook than Adobe does in Adobe Digital Editions 4.5. Adobe and other ebook readers tend to follow more the conventional HTML and CSS, where Apple handles image inclusion a little differently. I don't know the real reasoning behind such, but there's a slew of opinions and bad/incomplete workarounds on the web.

I don't want to create two or more ebook versions for different eReaders, so I've been wrestling with how to include images so that all (at least newer) eReaders would handle them as intended. It would take too much time here to note my trials that didn't work, but thought I could note what seems to work as intended in all the different eReaders I've tested the results in. Digging through the W3 material, I noticed I could also handle raster graphics as well as scalable vector graphics with the <svg> element, and using such the results looked the same in all the eReaders I tested.

The example I'm showing below is for the first illustration in the opening chapter (Early Trials) I posted in the PWW. The image I included is 600 px wide by 525 px high. It's a reduced version of the illustration I created, because there's no point in including huge images only to have them scaled down in the eReader. I say "no point" because such would only bloat the ebook file.

<p><br /></p>

<div style="text-align: center; padding: 0pt; margin: 0pt;">
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="450" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 600 450" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"><image height="450" width="600" xlink:href="../Images/C01Ilus02.png" /></svg>
</div>

<p><br /></p>

So what I've done is insert the above html where intended in the flow, wrapping the <svg> element in a <div>. Note that the first occurrence of height="450" is the actual image height instead of height="100%" that's shown in examples, because otherwise <svg> would inherit the height of the <div> (i.e. the page) creating a lot of unintended whitespace. Also note that the viewBox="0 0 600 450" delimiter is the image size, and the following width="100%" is intended to show the image at the same width as the text (what the <div> defines). The <image> element is common html.

The whole point of this is to have the image scale for different sized screens, and when a reader resizes their eReader window.

No doubt this is gobbledygook to some, but to others that might run across the issue in building ebooks I hope it saves some head scratching.

Yeah, I know that as time progresses things will change, but this should buy me time until I can afford to have my book printed. The world's a lot different now than when I was young — heck, when I was born they hadn't yet invented the first digital computer, ENIAC. [That aside from the special purpose effort by Atanasoff.] Did you know that when completed ENIAC occupied about 1,800 square feet and used about 18,000 vacuum tubes, weighing almost 50 tons? And it couldn't do near as much as my MacBook can today.

After all the typing, it occurred to me that this maybe could have posted in Olly's Interesting Things thread. Oh well, night all.

Last edited:

LeeC

WF Veterans
Hey, the temperature reached 30F today.

One good thing about this frigid weather is that if I'm outside and fall, I'll keep well until someone eventually finds me :)

sas

WF Veterans
Astroannie might be able to advise you on this image insertion problem, Lee. Send her a pm.

LeeC

WF Veterans
Astroannie might be able to advise you on this image insertion problem, Lee. Send her a pm.
I posted the bit about images in an ePub file as information on getting around the foibles of different eBook readers. If Annie or anyone sees a problem with the solution I found, or has alternate solutions, they should post such in response to the post so that all might benefit :)

LeeC

WF Veterans
An idea for a story that may scare the crap out of you. Instead of a zombie apocalypse, write about a beancounter apocalypse :)

I went to the medical center today for my usual two minute rat poison (Coumadin) clinic test, and had to check in three times, wasting a half hour, to get there. First at the front desk, then at admissions, then at the upstairs waiting room. In the waiting room they had a TV on, tuned to some dumbing channel like Fox News, which didn't help my demeanor (Orwell would have approved). After the test, I had to wait for another beancounter in check-out to schedule the next test the nurse requested.

In the waiting room I donned my noise canceling earphones, and read some on my iPad. Been through that part before.

Throughout it all I let each and every person I came in contact with know that Kafka would approve of their brilliant system. And to those that didn't 't know who Kafka was (all but the nurse), I noted that such was one of the shortcomings of our educational system.

Ok, that's off my chest, I can get back to my illustrating now. Hope you all are having a better day :)

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
Ah, beancounters. They're the one who go in after the battle is over and bayonet the wounded.:icon_cheesygrin:

Actually my wife was one back in the day, now she just shakes her head in disbelief and wonder if any passed grade school. Rx's, yeah. One my wife needed was like $1500/month. Couldn't afford it, but the Dr gave her a sample. Didn't work. I feel for ya, guy.

LeeC

WF Veterans
MP mentioned something about a senior moment in another thread.

I get so involved in my illustrating that I have trouble switching gears back to everyday awareness. For instance, I went to the kitchen and found myself trying to move a mouse pointer to the light switch to turn a light on. Another time I got up to go to another room, and stood at the door to my workroom at least a moment wondering how to open it.

Scares the hell out of me that I might end up mostly in a befuddled state. Umm ... no comments from the peanut gallery.

Hey though, at the medical center today I took the stairs up to my appointment. First time up, but the third time going down, and I practice on the one flight of stairs at home. Pretty soon I'll be chasing cars. :)

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
Let's see...this morning I put a whole cup of oatmeal in the pot rather than the usual 1/2 cup to make one serving, now I'm eating wallpaper paste. I'm always losing my coffee cup, I'll wander around drinking it while working up my morning action, lay it down and forget where I put it. Once I looked in the fridge for it (?).

Had some painful cysts on the bottom of my feet, the foot dr burned them off now maybe I can walk without pain. We lost our big blue heeler, Jud, last year and he loved walking. He would sit at the back door giving me the evil eye until I picked up the leash.
Haven't took a walk since he passed. Need to get back into that, but miss my buddy.

Kevin

WF Veterans
Okay... This is going to sound very judgmental, but... I think walking is good. No, okay, I'm gonna make a definite statement here so brace yourselves: Walking... is ... good. Shit! I know-I'm sorry! I did it! Probably lost some friends, but i'm doin it. Yah, I did it *whew*.

Users who are viewing this thread