Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Life in the slow lane (1 Viewer)

LeeC

WF Veterans
To put it as delicately as possible, if you don’t read extensively, your writing is going to suck regardless. Evidence of this is the many fast-track writers that flood the market with substandard books.

With extensive reading, enough practice, and enough real life experience, maybe one can develop enough writing skill to entice others to think and possibly broaden their perspectives.

I’m still working on getting there.

Kevin

WF Veterans
Today was slow as... I finished the Quiet American a week ago and am back to John Muir's 1st summer in Yosemite journal. He's a more of a tree humper than a hugger, but as least it's not the sheep he's tending. :) Anyway, it's pretty cool to me. His word-paintings are as good as Paul Bunyan., if a bit loftier. I once did an 18 mile-r down Yosemite creek to the Valley by accident when I was 14, so it's sort of a familiar place to me. He uses a lot of scientific plant names which is also good with me, though I have to use my phone to look them up sometimes to get just the right picture. There are some particularly good poetic passages, brilliant really, nature/spiritual stuff that puts man not above anything. Mostly it leaves him out except for his ( John's) commenting befuddlement at our ...inability to see.
Someday when I'm about 100 I think I'll have it all figured out, and then I'd like another 100 to make good practice of it...

LeeC

WF Veterans
Hey Kev, happy to hear you’ve read The Quiet American. One of the few realistic books to come out of that era, and of course not written by an American ;-)

Also like your tree humper [sic] take of John Muir, though I respect the man’s work. I’ve heard a similar comment about Edward Abbey re The Monkey Wrench Gang :) I’m more of an Aldo Leopold fan myself.

Not sure about the longer life span for most though, as many never seem to progress :)

LeeC

WF Veterans
Writing in English is the most ingenious torture ever devised for sins committed in previous lives. The English reading public explains the reason why.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

—James Joyce, letter to Fanny Guillermet

LeeC

WF Veterans
I think this Australian stand-up comedian is hilarious. He certainly tackles all the hot issues, and has pissed more than a few off. Pick your poison ;-)

Geoffrey James Nugent (born 14 February 1977), known professionally as Jim Jefferies (and previously Jim Jeffries), is an Australian stand-up comedian, actor, and writer. Born in Perth, Western Australia as Geoff James Nugent, he initially took the stage name Jim Jeffries but amended the last name to Jefferies to avoid confusion with a similarly named American performer.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jim+jefferies+

LeeC

WF Veterans
What? Do they sit up nights thinking this stuff up? :)

'What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, remains immortal.' - Gideon, Criminal Minds

Observe and reflect and become a little wiser every day.
ClQP5o_VEAAl_1H.jpg

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
:)

'What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, remains immortal.' - Gideon, Criminal Minds

Sounds like something my mom would say....she of course never said it.... but that was how she lived her life..

Kevin

WF Veterans
The neighb came over. He'd been living solo for the last twenty- his ex and he had divorced 40 years-ago. The last time they lived together was briefly around 10 years-ago. It didn't go well. She moved back in about 6 mos ago. He said this is their last chance, that the cards are all on table, flipped; no more games. She's changed. He's changed.

LeeC

WF Veterans
The neighb came over. He'd been living solo for the last twenty- his ex and he had divorced 40 years-ago. The last time they lived together was briefly around 10 years-ago. It didn't go well. She moved back in about 6 mos ago. He said this is their last chance, that the cards are all on table, flipped; no more games. She's changed. He's changed.
Hopefully both have gotten a bit wiser ;-)

LeeC

WF Veterans
I’d mentioned before that I found the Australia comedian Jim Jefferies hilarious, and today watched
Drugs: Fun, But Not Always - The Jim Jefferies Show
https://youtu.be/eM9pvO-hBHg

I’d also previously watched Jim Jefferies’ skit Gun Control (Part 1) from BARE
https://youtu.be/0rR9IaXH1M0
and today also watched Feeling More American by the Minute - Jim Goes to a Gun Range
https://youtu.be/DFgCXeqa7YM

In the former, part of his skit is responsible gun ownership, where he asks an intruder to wait while he opens his safe to get his gun :)

One of the things I like about him, is he’s not shy about speaking with brutal honesty about the most taboo subjects, and he does so in an entertaining way. Whatever one thinks of his subject matter, he's good writer and presenter.

LeeC

WF Veterans
While doing the Twitter branding two-step this evening, I came across a writer that described their books as erotic/spiritual. :scratch: Different strokes and all that.

Also came across a chimichanga recipe that had a chocolate and banana filling, what blaspheme.

• Haha
Reactions: sas

Kevin

WF Veterans
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]As with the place where we reside, we think ourselves higher or lower. The lights of other similar are seen through glass at night across in elevation, while the lowly cars pass below, and there are lights of homes there, too, that line the road, as it always must have been , or might have been, though those that were here before when there was only light by fire at night are long driven out or were gathered and slaved till gone by others that came long before us. What were their names, and did they leave their ghosts? There are many things that I shall never know, and things that no one seems to ever ask with this among them. Who were they? Through the glass I see the lights of higher or lower homes across the canyon. The rest is dark. [/FONT]
[/FONT]

LeeC

WF Veterans
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]As with the place where we reside, we think ourselves higher or lower. The lights of other similar are seen through glass at night across in elevation, while the lowly cars pass below, and there are lights of homes there, too, that line the road, as it always must have been , or might have been, though those that were here before when there was only light by fire at night are long driven out or were gathered and slaved till gone by others that came long before us. What were their names, and did they leave their ghosts? There are many things that I shall never know, and things that no one seems to ever ask with this among them. Who were they? Through the glass I see the lights of higher or lower homes across the canyon. The rest is dark. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, true knowledge is elusive :)

LeeC

WF Veterans
My wife hosted a dinner party for all our friends, some of whom
we hadn't seen for ages and everyone was encouraged to bring
their children along as well.

All throughout dinner my wife's best friend's four-year-old
daughter stared at me as I sat opposite her.

Image 12-22-17 at 4.52 PM.jpg

The girl could hardly eat her food for staring.

I checked my shirt for spots, felt my face for food, and patted
my hair in place, but nothing stopped her from staring at me.
Finally I asked her, "Why are you staring at me?"

Everyone at the table had noticed her behavior, and the table
went quiet, waiting for her response.

The little girl said, "I'm just waiting to see how you drink like a fish."

LeeC

WF Veterans
♪ It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas [FONT=&Verdana]♫
Snowed all day [/FONT]
yesterday, and now it's drizzling, creating a coating of ice. I was waiting till this morning to clear the driveway, but had to stay up all night taking care of the wife. Payback she says :) Don't have the energy now to clear the driveway, so I called a friend that does plowing to work us in.

♪ Just two old folks looking after each other [FONT=&Verdana]♫
and some friends that pitch in when needed.

That's really what the spirit of these holidays [/FONT]
is, wouldn't you say. Leastways it is for me, having a lot to be thankful for. What more could one ask for, than experiencing the real connectedness of life :)

My best to you and yours

Kevin

WF Veterans
By the way... Are you fully re-perambulated now? You know, since your ball-joint replacement? Can you burn rubber?

LeeC

WF Veterans
Getting there Kevin. With the back and hip operations I've graduated from a wheel chair, to a walker, to a single cane. Still have a knee to go, and I'm wondering how they'll do the scheduled MRI given my metal parts. I'm bringing firewood in from the woodshed now, but my wife still has to take the ashes out. This time of year the emphasis is on keeping warm in this drafty old farmhouse (circa 1870). She's anxious for me to pick up all the chores I did before, so there's pressure :)

Last night, taking my wife to the ER, was the first time I've driven in a good while. Still needed a step stool to get into the pickup, which I had to use for the 4x4 in this weather. And yes, my wife is doing better now, as evidenced by her resumed nitpicking :)

Hope all is well with you and yours.

PS: Something to be aware of. I think I mentioned previously that sometime back I mowed over a ground bee's nest, and they swarmed out covering my legs. I probably mentioned it in relation to the money-grubbing, quasi legal American drug cartel price tag for an EpiPen. Anyway, at the time they administered Prednisone. I learned later from the orthopedic surgeon that the Prednisone was likely a major factor in the increased problems I've had since. Now that's capitalism at it's best, seemingly helping the patient with an immediate problem, and promoting increased future problems to profit from. But hey, it's the holiday season, where we give thanks :)

• Thanks
Reactions: sas

sas

WF Veterans
[/FONT]

Loved this.

Users who are viewing this thread