Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Life in the slow lane (1 Viewer)

LeeC

WF Veterans
Thought I’d start a thread for, by, and about those of us in our twilight years.

One idea is to share advice on maintaining a positive mindset, which is where I’ll start.

Another is sharing experiences, funny or not.

A couple points that came to mind are:

1) Never get ahead of your canes.

2) Serenity being a desirable state, focus on the nonmaterialistic aspects of life, especially positive interactions.

Your turn :)

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
Never lose a chance to take a nap

If someone wants to argue, let them win

If you don't want to answer a question, pretend you're asleep

I've discovered riding those electric carts in the supermarkets is fun, and it keeps those fat slobs off of them

LeeC

WF Veterans
My wife can be the sweetest thing, but when she gets angry at something it's best to take a nap. I do believe that the success of our marriage is due in part to my losing the upper range of my hearing back in the '60s

The wife is a half inch short of five feet, and puts up a big front to compensate. Once, coming back from visiting her family in Mass. the warning light came on for a tire pressure. We pulled off the freeway, into a gas station to add air to the tire, and another car pulled in just ahead of us. Three guys got out and were taking their time at the air station. I was content to wait, but oh no she walked over to them and asked how many men it takes to inflate a tire ;-) Luckily they only laughed.

Last edited:

LeeC

WF Veterans
The week is going quickly as hoped, awaiting my grandson's visit this coming weekend. Adding realistic human figures to some illustrations is focused work.

Heard something that had a ring of insight, "Never seek advice from a person who's TV is larger than their bookshelf."

Another friend passed away lately. Not unexpected in my circle, but saddening. Got me to thinking about past artists I've enjoyed.

Édith Piaf
https://youtu.be/Oc1O6gB8F7M

Dalida
https://youtu.be/HIcv5k-wTh4

Roger Whittaker (hanging in here)
https://youtu.be/gNkh-Pd0oNI?list=PL8rJWRBFYbMdOxC_ofbdIyQoDqQfiKo18

and many more, especially jazz and classical artists.

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
Some quotes from Satchel Paige, that great baseball philosopher, applies here:

"Don't eat fried foods, it angries up the blood."
"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."
"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"

:icon_joker:

LeeC

WF Veterans

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
May you reach that point in life where you break through the human intelligence barrier. ***That is when by the time you remember what you were going to do you’ve already done it.

OR... or it does not matter now... ;)

LeeC

WF Veterans
Needing to get out, last summer I headed down the road to visit a friend. I didn't get halfway before I was pulled over. The cop, a local boy, said I could get killed being on the road in a wheelchair. He didn't like it when I said less people would get hurt if they weren't always in such a hurry to go nowhere, and we'd all get along better if we possessed any real consideration.

What I find most abhorrent is how some steer to intentionally hit wildlife. "How dare that wild turkey trespass on my road," is a prime example of why our liminal thread in the web of life is shortening at an accelerated rate.

escorial

WF Veterans
the other day on the radio they had a phone in about the good side of getting old and the bad...it was so funny to listen to..stuff like appreciating a sunset was a plus and having to sit down to put your socks on was a minus....

sas

WF Veterans
the other day on the radio they had a phone in about the good side of getting old and the bad...it was so funny to listen to..stuff like appreciating a sunset was a plus and having to sit down to put your socks on was a minus....

Sock story reminded me that I lift my foot up to edge of countertop to tie my laces. At 72, I know I can kick even a tall person's ass. I'm 5 ft. Ha.

escorial

WF Veterans
you remind of mrs nailer who use to play the spoons in the local pub on a sunday afternoon and finish of with a cartwheel..she was a good age

• Haha
Reactions: sas

LeeC

WF Veterans
It gets even funnier when you have to ask others to put your socks on. Most of the time I go without socks. I've got a hooked stick I can get my pants on with. I guess when I can't do that I won't wear pants ;-)

LeeC

WF Veterans
Got a DM on Twitter where the person said they'd posted a review of my book, and would appreciate my doing the same for them. On the surface, if one is honest in their review, there's nothing wrong with the person asking me to do the same. Here though, it was posted as anonymous, and said "someone" had given their boys the book and they liked it. I doubt very seriously whether they even read the preview. Seems to me another circumvent in tallying up reviews to get Amazon to "feature" a book.

Way too many go about life competing to be the criminal rather than the victim [Bertrand Russell quote], which is blatantly exemplified in today's goings on. I'm thankful I was reared in the culture I was, where respectful coexistence with all life forms was the foundation. I asked Amazon to take the review down, and will sleep better having done so.

On another note, when my daughter and grandson visited last weekend, she told me it's amazing to be getting beyond the dense stage of life, and begin to really understand just how little we really know. Made me very proud, especially in her getting there quicker than I did. Also, I not only got my grandson "Snugs The Snow Bear," but also his own copy of "The Hobbit" which he was even happier with. It surprises and pleases me to see his level of reading and comprehension in a seven year old.

LeeC

WF Veterans
This weekend the wife's away at a hookin' and prayin' retreat (rug making workshop that uses a religious retreat facilities). Found I like texting with the wife better than direct conversation. At least this way I get in a full sentence ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread