Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Let's Write a Novel in August! (1 Viewer)

Ma'am

I am being very lazy and need a boost. Tomorrow begins a new month. Anyone want to join me in writing a novel?

One month, one (first draft) of a novel. Check in here daily. Like NaNoWriMo but in August. And without the word count requirement, because I'd be very pleased with half that requirement, say 25,000 words or even less (to be fleshed out in the second draft). And without the crazy name. :p

Who's in? Let's do it. You know you wanna!

seigfried007

Dunno how much more on my WIP is needed. Keep running into spots where the characters want to stare at each other and not do shizznit. Maybe this could be a cattle prod to get 'em moving.

Aquilo

WF Veterans
I'm in. I've not written since December 2018 (had a fair few novels to get back out on the market, and this is kind of similar to ther writing sprint clubs I like to do). I can't start until Sunday, though (grandkids are around!). :) Be good to see how everyone else is doing.

seigfried007

Up to 5,052 on that fancy back matter and 55,262 on Pinocchio itself, so I haven't added much, but I've edited a bit and switched somethings around (and nixed quite a bit, which doesn't precisely up the word count). I can't seem to keep writing. I've written a huge number of words in posts concerning the book though, and while they don't count on the WIP word count, it's really helped me get my thoughts in order, see themes and metaphors within the work, and fed into me being able to write on it at all.

Weirdly enough, I'm crashing right now, so I might not get much else done tonight. I've had such a problem with insomnia this week--haven't been able to sleep even 4 hours most nights this week

Ma'am

Naturally, now other things have come up that must be attended to. But that's okay, there's still plenty of time left in the month.

Aquilo

WF Veterans
Up to 5,052 on that fancy back matter and 55,262 on Pinocchio itself, so I haven't added much, but I've edited a bit and switched somethings around (and nixed quite a bit, which doesn't precisely up the word count). I can't seem to keep writing. I've written a huge number of words in posts concerning the book though, and while they don't count on the WIP word count, it's really helped me get my thoughts in order, see themes and metaphors within the work, and fed into me being able to write on it at all.

Weirdly enough, I'm crashing right now, so I might not get much else done tonight. I've had such a problem with insomnia this week--haven't been able to sleep even 4 hours most nights this week

It gets you like that, the burnout. I usually just keep it down to a scene a day, which is between 2-4 k. Anymore and and it gets too much, too intense.

Naturally, now other things have come up that must be attended to. But that's okay, there's still plenty of time left in the month.

Lol, ain't that the way!

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
Ma'am; I love your enthusiasm...but I wrote a book last month. :cool:

Actually I'm writing a new book this month...but it's a plotter, and I'll prolly still be working on this thing in March.
It's one of those kinds of books.

seigfried007

Up to 56,350 on Pinocchio. Finally starting to pick up some steam. Last couple chapters have been super awkward, full of anxious characters who don't want to do nuttin'. Awkward dialogue and lack hereof is one of the hardest things to write, I think. If things are happening, it's much easier to write. I can plow right through action... but awkward's hard on everyone.

seigfried007

Was feeling crappy all day. Up to 56,939, but I seem to be moving along. Hopefully, the seriously awkward stuff's out of the way. Can see the light at the end of the tunnel. This one conversation has been going for about 4k now, I think, and it's been the holiest-mother-of-awkward to work through.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
I wrote for 5 hours today, and finished 3 scenes.
I don't do word counts.

Tomorrow my protagonist and his new sidekick run into some guy driving Ark II.
Yes, the one from the TV show.
And that's not even the strangest part.

seigfried007

Up to 58,005. Added some more on back matter, and worked on longer term aspects of the plot today mostly.

Not even sure I know how scenes are defined. Authors use the term differently sometimes. I've known writers who got, perhaps, a bit too into the scene terminology. Everything had to be just so and easily defined for them. Drove me crazy.

seigfried007

Up to 60,386 on Pinocchio and almost 6K on back matter. Been out camping since Thursday, so I wasn't able to do diddly squat on it til I got back earlier today.

It's weird how the prose has telescoped on me. The rest of the piece was pretty spare in a way. The last 10K has been less than 24 hours. Rest of the book took 2 years in-world time for that 50K. Although, I guess more than half the length of the book has taken place over two months now, so the telescoping may not be a change in voice so much as a picking up in the pace of important character interactions. If it was more action-y, it'd make more sense, but this is my big foray into something with a more episodic format and not necessarily a big narrative climactic push (though I'm working on sticking one in anyway).

Last edited:

seigfried007

62,185 so far tonight on Pinocchio. Added almost 2k today--and it's all one chapter. There have been some amazing exchanges between these characters in these past few chapters. Really feel like they're showing their true colors now. Was weird to write a chapter with almost nothing from the protagonist in it--it's pretty much all Pinocchio and the protag's wife chatting about really important stuff.

Reactions: PiP

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
Up to 60,386 on Pinocchio and almost 6K on back matter. Been out camping since Thursday, so I wasn't able to do diddly squat on it til I got back earlier today.

If you had one of these, you could write anywhere.
I even write when I'm snow camping at 9600'.

EBOFLk6UEAAVUC2

seigfried007

I'm supposed to be waking up in 40 minutes... but I've pulled an accidental all-nighter writing. :drinkcoffee:

Up to 66,532 for Pinocchio. 3 whole chapters and two big, fancy sex scenes that I totally hadn't planned. They were supposed to be watching the evening news. That was plan for what to write today, honest. Crazy characters :shock:

Reactions: PiP

seigfried007

Up to 67,890 on Pinocchio. Added one new chapter. I've finally got them on the couch, but now that they're where I'd planned them to be chapters ago, I can't remember what all needed to be said/heard/watched on that couch. I'd been really excited about writing more with Jasper at the time, but I'm going to have to remember or make up all new snappy one-liners, great speeches, etc. Love said character, but he's a trip to write.