Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Let's get out there. (1 Viewer)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I went to Port Eliot literary and music festival at St Germans, Cornwall last weekend, and it strikes me that the forum should be represented at such events. We could offer our members books, advice to anyone who has brought work with them, the occasional half serious lecture, maybe a ‘live’ version of the limerick thread, readings from the works of members who can’t attend, interviews with published members.

I expect someone can throw up more ideas, we could put on a good display. There is an ‘events’ section under ‘articles’ where you could list anywhere we could go as well as listing it here, there must be similar events on other continents as well.

Now, has anyone got a very large tent and some old comfy chairs and carpet we could borrow to get us started?

Potty

WF Veterans
Well, I can't offer a lot in the way of material... but I will be happy to help out by putting the time in etc.

We need gift bags! With coasters and info leaflet and pens etc

B

Baron

Well, I can't offer a lot in the way of material... but I will be happy to help out by putting the time in etc.

Potty mugs?

2449.zoom_.a.jpg

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Realistically this all costs money, I have just watched a friend spend a fortune on such stuff promoting an idea. On the other hand something they take with them so they don't forget us has got to be good, how about a small book of short stories and poetry? A bit more relevant too maybe.

Potty

WF Veterans
Brio = £0.99 Cardboard coaster = £1 flyer = pennies and the bag it all goes in pennies.

A small book of short stories and poems = £6+

Unless you're talking about YOUR book :p Nice plug.

Bloggsworth

I have some shirts, my wife says that they are the size of a tent. I could hang about outside Paddy Power and gather up discarded brios...

B

Baron

Surely our talented writers are a sufficient draw. Once read, never forgotten.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Brio = £0.99 Cardboard coaster = £1 flyer = pennies and the bag it all goes in pennies.

A small book of short stories and poems = £6+

Unless you're talking about YOUR book :p Nice plug.
I don't know where the prices come from, but Lulu will sell you a perfect bound paperback for half that, make it saddle stiched and it is even cheaper. People are paying £1.50 for a small cup of tea there, it would be good to break even. That would be a free plug for the site, for our authors and a free weekend for those that ran it, nobody will want to visit the wf stall on Sat. night when the headliners are playing.

We have time to organise, it's too late for this year.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
A quick look on Google shows loads of literary festivals, the literary and music festival seems to be a bit rarer beast. Could well be that some of them would have us simply as a 'spot' , a brief talk about writing and what the forum could offer for example, that could help get a name and easier acceptance at others. A lot of them are not festivals with a festival site, but a series of events in different localities around a town.

Trilby

WF Veterans
I think it is a great idea

I suppose the first thing to do really is make a list of them and ask them.

I agree with Olly - You'll never know if you don't ask.
This reminds me of a writing group I used to be a member of, one or two of the members were keen to ask a local, very successful, author to give a talk to the group. The group leader always knocked this idea down saying it would be far to expensive and we could not afford the fee - eventually (2 yrs later) the author was approached - her fee, a 20 packet of cigarettes. We threw in a bouquet of flowers.

Last edited:

JosephB

It worked for the new car wash near where I live, so I'm going to wear a gorilla costume and a Writing Forums sandwich board at the Atlanta Book Fair next year.

Gargh

WF Veterans
Do a one off newsletter from each event featuring the best work created at workshops run by yourselves on the day. Offering a chance to workshop with a possibility of publication will attract plenty of people desperate for approval and recognition. Plus, they will need to give you their contact details and/or sign up to receive the newsletter....genius, eh? :smug:

Users who are viewing this thread