Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Less Than Zero (1 Viewer)

Neo

I'm reading Less Than Zero at the moment and I'm comparing it to American Psycho, and I got Rules of Attractions the other day and I'll start that when I'm finished Less Than Zero and I find the long run-on sentences interesting and people are afraid to merge and I tried to buy Galmorama the other day but they didn't have it in.

TinyMachines

This is the only book I ever wished I could take back reading. I am fine reading things like fear and loathing, or burroughs but this book seemed to cross the line everywhere it went. One scene in particular is stuck in my head forever. I think you will know the scene once you get there.

strangedaze

its style would piss me off if it were yoked to different subject matter, but i think its perfect. the whole book is like this surreal, hollow journey nowhere. i think its brilliant.

Der_Parvenu_Meister

i think less than zero is far better than nick mcdonells book Twelve, his book is like a pathetic attempt at the dead minimalism ellis achieved. and god the ending was lamentable.

Neo

Less Than Zero was excellent. I've finished it and have now begun Rules of Attraction. Catcher in the Rye sucks compared to Less Than Zero.

Cipher2

I prefer Lunar Park to any of BEAs previous. I like the poetic blankness of LTZ but it lacks something when I read it now. I am not comfortable with BEAs use of violence. I don't think that he asserts his authority as an author in LTZ to really reinforce a moral message in the violent scenes. That criticism is one that is more relevant in particular to Glamorama that is gorier.

Neo

I believe me and Ellis would get on very well; his outlook on the world mirrors mine.

Der_Parvenu_Meister

you and thousands of others, there are quite a few generation x writers like him. i've seen interviews with ellis and he always comes off as so tired and partially depressed, i think it would be a let down to meet him.

Neo

Actually i agree. Tried to watch the online interviews with him on BBC but they won't work.

Der_Parvenu_Meister

keep trying, they're an example of what hes like now, he just looks tired and my girlfriend said he sorta looks like a pig, his skin is bad now, and the interviewer sounds like a 14 year old. I dont know its just his work has had the biggest effect on me compared to any other especially with american psycho and when i see all these interviews hes just not what I picture, like the guy who actually sat down and wrote it. Then again I like the rock band Hole but when I see Courtney Love, shes a mess.

Neo

Got to see the interview where he talks about American Psycho and the sequel to Less Than Zero. He sounds very normal, doesn't he?

Cipher2

I've read and watched quite a few interviews. A lot of his books were written on drugs which don't do a great job for appearences. I think a lot of time actually on anti-depressents as well. The first part of Lunar Park is autobiographical if you can separate it from the fiction.