Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Learning from the Masters (modeling and writing by example first and not a blind first draft) (1 Viewer)

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
This is part of a thread. I posted this as advice.,
As of this writing, I was influenced by Meredith Sue Willis's approaches. I think imitation is misunderstood. You can steal from the classics by simply copying small details that are made unique by virtue of your own sensory experience. I want you to try that as an exercise if I critique a story.

Right now I am going to try it out. Every writer will get different results since each time you do this every other person's surroundings are different. You just need to observe the same thing. For example, if a person is wearing clothes, what kind of clothes? If they have teeth described like in Treasure Island, then what aspects of teeth? A golden tooth? And so on. It is an island of pirates, after all. Now how would I describe the teeth of my brother? Or the house using the same parameters set by trying to understand how Charles Dickens did it in Bleak house.

The answer is you need to copy it. Then try yourself. This is the practice aspect of craft that isn't talked about or what we take for granted.
My two references for this are the observation deck from Noami Epel and ten strategies to write your novel by Meredith Sue Williams.
Page 32 (observation deck book)

"As a young writer Joan Didion typed out Hemingway stories to find out how his sentences worked. Francine Du Plessick Gray filled notebooks from T.S. Eliott and Henry James."

This is not necessarily imitation, but you are creating a new work inspired by the old work and your observations using your senses.

Opinions if anyone does this or disagrees? So then the answer is yes you can learn from classics from me (that would be my opinion thus far).