Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Late Bloomer (1 Viewer)

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
Hi everyone

Not long after leaving school, I decided I'd like to have a go at writing a novel. Almost 40 years later, during a global pandemic and 4 months of furlough, I finally got around to starting it! :biggrin:

Anyway, thought I'd find a community where I could get to know accomplished writers as well as other newbies such as my self and maybe find some tips and tricks to help me finish it.

Looking forward to interacting with the folks on here.

jenthepen

Staff member
Mentor
Hiya, Mark. That username is brilliant! There are plenty of people around here that will appreciate your sense fun and your quest to share and learn more about the writing game. Good luck with the novel. What sort of thing do you write?

Anyway, take a look around the forums and you'll see that we are blessed with writers who all have one thing in common; they are friendly, welcoming and willing to share their expertise and help wherever they can. Once you have 10 posts, new forums will open up and you'll be able to post samples of your own work for suggestions and advice. Meanwhile, don't be shy about jumping in with some ideas and reactions of your own. All writers appreciate a response to their work and reciprocation is the name of the game.

Welcome to the club and I hope to see you on the forum boards soon.

jen

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
Hiya, Mark. That username is brilliant! There are plenty of people around here that will appreciate your sense fun and your quest to share and learn more about the writing game. Good luck with the novel. What sort of thing do you write?

Anyway, take a look around the forums and you'll see that we are blessed with writers who all have one thing in common; they are friendly, welcoming and willing to share their expertise and help wherever they can. Once you have 10 posts, new forums will open up and you'll be able to post samples of your own work for suggestions and advice. Meanwhile, don't be shy about jumping in with some ideas and reactions of your own. All writers appreciate a response to their work and reciprocation is the name of the game.

Welcome to the club and I hope to see you on the forum boards soon.

jen

Thanks Jen

My current novel is my 3rd attempt. The 1st was post apocalyptic, 2nd was sci-fi and the 3rd, where I've actually completed a 1st draft, is more of a contemporary thriller with maybe a sci-fi twist.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Thanks Jen

My current novel is my 3rd attempt. The 1st was post apocalyptic, 2nd was sci-fi and the 3rd, where I've actually completed a 1st draft, is more of a contemporary thriller with maybe a sci-fi twist.

It sounds like you got stuck somewhere in the first two, is that right?

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Yes, I reached an impasse with them and decided to head off in a difference direction which seems to have paid off so far. I may well go back to them at some point.

I had three novels in process before I finally buckled down and finished the first one I started. I finally realized that I just didn't like the way I'd ended the last chapter written. I rethought the last scene (it was Chapter 12), rewrote it with something I knew I could continue from, and then went ahead and wrote a chapter by chapter synopsis of the rest of the book. I was, at that time, writing as a sometimes hobby, but that freed me up to finish that book over the next few months.

I wrote a few other books in between, but I got back to #2 of those three last September and finished it in February, and I'm now several days from finishing #3 of those first three. Then I'll have a clean slate with no partial works hanging out there in the back of my mind. LOL So if you examine your sticking points, you may find a similar solution. Figure out what you don't like about the point they're at, and just back up a bit and come back with something you're enthused about.

Bearing down to continue on that first novel, and then completing it, REALLY taught me a lot about how to finish ... something I learn more about with every novel completed.

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
I had three novels in process before I finally buckled down and finished the first one I started. I finally realized that I just didn't like the way I'd ended the last chapter written. I rethought the last scene (it was Chapter 12), rewrote it with something I knew I could continue from, and then went ahead and wrote a chapter by chapter synopsis of the rest of the book. I was, at that time, writing as a sometimes hobby, but that freed me up to finish that book over the next few months.

I wrote a few other books in between, but I got back to #2 of those three last September and finished it in February, and I'm now several days from finishing #3 of those first three. Then I'll have a clean slate with no partial works hanging out there in the back of my mind. LOL So if you examine your sticking points, you may find a similar solution. Figure out what you don't like about the point they're at, and just back up a bit and come back with something you're enthused about.

Bearing down to continue on that first novel, and then completing it, REALLY taught me a lot about how to finish ... something I learn more about with every novel completed.

Great stuff there, thanks

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
You’ve landed in a good place. Lots of good advice and experience here.
For me, I’ve found perseverance is the most important attribute a writer can possess. Beyond that, a regular routine where I write every day helps me a lot.

Welcome!

Nice to meet you Mark ... I actually would like to learn off you about writing and pick your brain as i'm rummaging through my second draft. I am bit of a fresher too ... there are some very clever people here ... welcome aboard.