Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Kyle Would Be Proud Of Me... (2 Viewers)

T.S.Bowman

CoF Challenge Host
WF Veterans
...I think.

Everyone who has read my posts knows that I like to poke at Kyle a bit about plotting and such things.

The funny thing is, no matter how much I poke at him about it, I do take his advice seriously and pay attention to what he's saying.

That being noted...

My girlfriend, my son and I were out and about today and we made a stop at a St. Vincent de Paul store. While she was looking for some clothes for our two youngest, I kinda wandered around checking out whatever caught my eye.

I went, like I always do, over to the bookshelves because books are always $.50 for a paperback and $1.00 for a hardcover. I have found some very good deals, including a brand new copy of The Barbecue Bible from Steven Reichlen for a buck. That book sells for almost 25 bucks so I was a happy camper.

Anyway, as I was looking through the paperbooks, I happened across a copy of The Bedford Handbook for Writers (third edition) for $.50 so I decided to grab it.

I got it home and after just a cursory glance, I see some things in it that I may find helpful at some point. I still won't be reading it in detail because I could tell that, like English class, it would just confuse me and create a literary "vapor lock". But, as a handy little reference to look in when I have something grammatical that bugging me, it should be pretty useful.

I can't believe I actually bought one, but I am glad I only had to spend $.50 on it. LOL

Bishop

WF Veterans
filepicker%2FNlwcuyYsQ0KYX6xO3wT5_welcome_dark_side.jpg

Pictured: Kyle.

Ari

I love this thread.
Entertain me more! I'll give you Likes or Lols... ::bribes::

Schrody

WF Veterans
Hey Bish, do me! (I mean present me with a picture, doh!)

I'm not plotting or outlining either! :p

Sorry T.S. :D

TKent

Retired Chief Media Manager
I am embarrassed to admit it to you 'pantsers' but I also signed up for a class on novel writing at the Emory Writers Studio. Lol!! (not really embarrassed since I love taking classes anyway :) I am actually REALLY looking forward to it.

T.S.Bowman

CoF Challenge Host
WF Veterans
I am embarrassed to admit it to you 'pantsers' but I also signed up for a class on novel writing at the Emory Writers Studio. Lol!! (not really embarrassed since I love taking classes anyway :) I am actually REALLY looking forward to it.

The thing is...I have tried plotting things out. I have tried writing out character profiles. A lot of Pantsers have. That kind of stuff isn't something we have completely avoided like the plague. It just doesn't seem to really work for us.

I may have bought that book, but I'll still be winging it when it comes to writing the story. Unless, that is, Kyle winds up posting some sort of technique or something that I try which actually works for me. :)

Joined.:smile2:

Excellent!

mrmustard615

Music Guru
Retired Supervisor
I kind of do both. I write something of an outline, more or less notes, but then when I start to write, that "Stream of Consciousness" takes over and who knows what comes into my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread