Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

kindle vella: episodic stories (1 Viewer)

Selorian

Patron
kindle vella (click for link)

Publish a serial story with Kindle Direct Publishing.

Publish a story to Kindle Vella one short episode at a time that readers can follow, keeping up with the plot twist and turns from the Kindle app or on the web.

This sounds interesting. Looks like Amazon's version of Radish or Wattpad.

Apparently it will be available to US authors initially and will be launching in the coming months.

[video]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/G/01/kindle/falkor/author_mlp/kindle-vella-launch-video-final-50mb.mp4[/video]

Last edited:

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Very cool, might be worth a try. Looks like the Nameless series by Dean Koontz was like this if not the same exact thing.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
I saw an advert for this yesterday and was going to post about it - you guys beat me to it.

Vella isn't something I'd use because from what I've read it isn't suitable for novels, but for serialized works and short stories it could work and provide an income stream.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
... for serialized works and short stories it could work and provide an income stream.
I was wondering about the Vella token system. In order for that to be profitable you'd have to really get readers involved to want to keep reading (as someone always very critical of my own work it's easy to feel like that's not going to happen). I'm also not sure where readers find the Vella stories.

Selorian

Patron
I was wondering about the Vella token system. In order for that to be profitable you'd have to really get readers involved to want to keep reading (as someone always very critical of my own work it's easy to feel like that's not going to happen). I'm also not sure where readers find the Vella stories.

Vella hasn't launched yet, but when it does, it will probably have a section under Kindle Books like Kindle Originals, Kindle Shorts, etc does. As for the token system, I'm not sure exactly how that will work, but at a 50/50 split, it isn't quite as good as other KDP royalty options.

I saw an advert for this yesterday and was going to post about it - you guys beat me to it.

Vella isn't something I'd use because from what I've read it isn't suitable for novels, but for serialized works and short stories it could work and provide an income stream.

I'd say depending on the genre of novel, as well as how it is written, it would work for novels. Something with a cliffhanger at the end of every chapter should fit the format well.

If I were to do it, I would write a novel and consider each chapter as a single episode of a heavily serialized tv series... something like Game of Thrones, Star Trek: Discovery, Dexter as some examples.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Vella hasn't launched yet, but when it does, it will probably have a section under Kindle Books like Kindle Originals, Kindle Shorts, etc does. As for the token system, I'm not sure exactly how that will work, but at a 50/50 split, it isn't quite as good as other KDP royalty options.

I'd say depending on the genre of novel, as well as how it is written, it would work for novels. Something with a cliffhanger at the end of every chapter should fit the format well.

If I were to do it, I would write a novel and consider each chapter as a single episode of a heavily serialized tv series... something like Game of Thrones, Star Trek: Discovery, Dexter as some examples.

From what I've read it's aimed at a 'younger market', can be read via an app on a phone. With that in mind, stories that would appeal to youngsters would do better.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator

The intent is to publish 500-6000 word episodes that probably dovetail together. It reminds me of the movie episodes that were popular back in the 1930's - 15 minute episodes, ending with a cliff hanger (a common one was the heroes in the car, then the car goes off a cliff... then next week they show the heroes jumping out before it goes off the cliff).

Amazon article here.

Steve_Rivers

Amazon tends to do this a lot - come up with ideas, chuck them at the wall and then see what sticks. Vella ironically reminds me of all those 1950s serialized tv shows that got repeated in later decades. Tidbits were shown in 5-10 minute installments as filler to the main show.
Considering how cultural content is being fragmented into ever smaller bite-sized pieces (see TikTok!) Im not surprised Amazon is trying this idea out.

I think my overall feeling on it though is if it gets kids that might not have tried reading to read something... hell... even adults that might be daunted by the idea of a "book," then that's all the better.

Selorian

Patron
I think my overall feeling on it though is if it gets kids that might not have tried reading to read something... hell... even adults that might be daunted by the idea of a "book," then that's all the better.

This. Anything that gets any person who normally doesn't read to actually do it has to be a good thing at least for that single reason.

Selorian

Patron
I've been trying to keep up with news and discussion about Vella and have discovered some details I thought I'd share.

Word count is to be between 600-5000 words.
Tokens are tentatively each worth 100 words.
Tokens will be sold in bundles that cost & quantity may change (200 - $1.99 up to 1700 -$14.99)
Authors get a 50/50 split of tokens worth spent on their episodes (after deducting 3rd party fees for bundle packs)
No work previously published in long form (need more clarification here as per next point)
Only new works accepted
No set limit as of now how long a series needs to be finished before able to remove from the platform and published elsewhere
Story image is 1600x1600 and should contain no text (title, author, etc)
Not known how copyright will be handled from what I have come across

There is more, but I feel this is a decent rundown of some of the most important points.

Also, many authors are discussing works needing to be more like heavily serialized tv episodes and each episode needing to be though of more as a scene than a true episode. Soap Operas are being used a lot as an example of the type of format to aim for. There also seems to be some discussion of Amazon offering a Launch Bonus of some sort to authors who have work available on launch, which is widely speculated to be sometime in July or possibly corresponding to the next Prime Day.

Another reference being thrown around is how Stephen King originally released The Green Mile in six individual episodes of around 100 pages each over six months.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread