Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Ki-like magic system (2 Viewers)

WEFerence

I was wanting your opinions on this idea to create a magic system (somewhere between soft and hard, might I add) for a fantasy world that's similar to the concept of ki/qi. Of course, it's a fantasy world (actually, it's more of a fantasy/steampunk cross, albeit not spellpunk), so I was wanting to give it a more Westernized flavoring. I plan on making it have more of an emphasis on magic-like abilities as opposed to increasing physical abilities, but am iffy about it being specifically among the five elements of fire, water, wind, earth, and spirit because I don't want it to come off just as glorified Bending. The name for this power is fëa; one is tapping into their fëa (the latent power of one's life essence) for these abilities, and anyone can at least learn how to use this power, but it requires proper training and dedication to use to its fullest potential. I wanted to perhaps further expand on it for worldbuilding's sake.

Lawless

fantasy world that's similar to the concept of ki/qi
Do you mean something like the healing energy in one's hands, or something like a living substance all things contain, like in Jack L. Chalker's "Four Lords of the Diamond" series?

WEFerence

Do you mean something like the healing energy in one's hands, or something like a living substance all things contain, like in Jack L. Chalker's "Four Lords of the Diamond" series?
In regards to what fëa is, it is basically power from one’s life essence. Using such abilities does not drain your life force, but rather one’s life essence is from where one’s latent power lies; that power is harnessed in order to create these magic-like abilities. In other worlds, yes, like the latter.

Lawless

I was wanting to give it a more Westernized flavoring. [---] iffy about it being specifically among the five elements of fire, water, wind, earth, and spirit
Looks like a great idea. Magic based on one's life essence doesn't require any Oriental mumbo-jumbo. Scientists can study life essence with Western methods, using some equipment and scientific terminology. I've seen something like that somewhere, but I can't remember exactly where at the moment.

WEFerence

Looks like a great idea. Magic based on one's life essence doesn't require any Oriental mumbo-jumbo. Scientists can study life essence with Western methods, using some equipment and scientific terminology. I've seen something like that somewhere, but I can't remember exactly where at the moment.
I’m aware. I was wanting your take on perhaps how its abilities could be sorted out and/or categorized.

Lawless

how its abilities could be sorted out and/or categorized
Maybe the efficiency of magic could have something to do with how well your life essence fits together with that of the person/thing you want to affect and that of the tools you are using?

WEFerence

Maybe the efficiency of magic could have something to do with how well your life essence fits together with that of the person/thing you want to affect and that of the tools you are using?
I do ultimately think that the five elements are a good way to create that foundation if it means being able to do elemental “spell” attacks, but perhaps there could be more nuance to make it seem less like a carbon copy.

Lawless

there could be more nuance to make it seem less like a carbon copy
How about making the life essence depend on the region? Like, the element of fire in Denmark differs from the element of fire in Vietnam. Fire magic in both places is being done basically the same way, but when a fire mage from Denmark does it in Vietnam, it doesn't work in exactly the same way because his connection to the background magic is not as harmonious as back home.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
If you're talking about chi - as it is called in martial arts - you might also research the five animals the arts are based upon, then assign a particular magic related to that animal.

Sir-KP

Sounds like a solid plan already. The idea of 'fea' sounds prone to be dangerous when it's in the hands of the wrong people.

But I wouldn't recommend explaining this power by saying Qi/Ki (or more commonly known as Chi). That will confuse readers, even Asians that don't pay attention to spiritualism or martial arts that integrates it.