Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

KDP Select Question for Those Experienced (1 Viewer)

Justin Attas

Hey all! Quick question about the Amazon KDP Select program. If you agree to it and you decide you want to print copies of your book, are you obligated to use CreateSpace (Amazon's direct print) because of Select exclusivity? I originally turned down Select for this reason and because I wanted to keep my book perma-free through price math (oh boy, what a mistake THAT was), but I'm rethinking now. I'm not even sure if I can still enroll in Select. I guess I'd have to take my book off of Barnes and Noble's Nook servers, which aren't doing me any favors anyway.

Can anyone enlighten me? Does enrolling in KDP Select obligate you to use CreateSpace to print your book?

Thank you!
Justin

RWK

Hey all! Quick question about the Amazon KDP Select program. If you agree to it and you decide you want to print copies of your book, are you obligated to use CreateSpace (Amazon's direct print) because of Select exclusivity? I originally turned down Select for this reason and because I wanted to keep my book perma-free through price math (oh boy, what a mistake THAT was), but I'm rethinking now. I'm not even sure if I can still enroll in Select. I guess I'd have to take my book off of Barnes and Noble's Nook servers, which aren't doing me any favors anyway.

Can anyone enlighten me? Does enrolling in KDP Select obligate you to use CreateSpace to print your book?

Thank you!
Justin

Being in Select, IIRC, means that Amazon is your sole marketing agent, so basically, yes.

Although CreateSpace gone, absorbed into Amazon.

I don't really care because so few people buy paperbacks in my genres.

Yeah, to go into Select you would first have to pull away from other outlets, but IMO it is worth it.

Justin Attas

Thank you for the insight! I didn't know createspace was no more. That's really all I was worried about, since I heard there was much better printing software out there. Thank you!

Justin Attas

Thank you for letting me know! Super excited to join select now. Maybe I'll actually sell some damn books lol.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
Bayview is absolutely correct.
Kindle Unlimited (aka KU-KOLL) only applies to digital versions of your book.
With KU-KOLL they demand exclusive content during the signup period...which starts over every 3 months.
But you can still sell print copies of your book all over the place, and even have multiple print sources.
I sell print copies through Amazon, D2D*, Ingram, Smashwords*...

*Vendors like D2D & Smashwords publish your book with about a dozen different sources that sell to libraries and other institutions. Ingram is the print publisher previously used by B&N.

Justin Attas

Thank you for the info! I've heard of ingram and smashwords. I will be looking into these when I'm ready to print. Have to turn that coveted profit first somehow. You know how it goes.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
But keep in mind that KU-Koll can make you some scratch. Also, when you are enrolled in KU you get to run a free advertising campaign every signup period. you have a choice of a countdown deal, or free books giveaway (each runs for 5 days.) You can drum up reviews thataway.

apocalypsegal

Select is only ebooks, and you can't list digital anywhere else. Any where. Read the Help pages at KDP, you will learn so much there.

Create Space is long dead, there's a print option in KDP.