Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Kalahari Gnomes (1 Viewer)

Moose.H

Hi - I have a great editor working on my script. She has Ninja'd it so after the trauma of corrections it is looking one heck of a lot better. A slow death of the old by a thousand salt rubbed paper cuts. Stings like heck but worth it.

If I can’t get a good cover the pain was an utter waste of effort.

I was going to leave the pictures entirely to a professional but have noted that even great artists who don’t read the book just don’t get it and can’t do the cover justice.

My own artist has not ‘got’ a friend's book so I am creating a brief using my conceptuals that I created as an aid to write.

The cover is the first essential interface. So I need something that will have that 1/2second glance advantage for a prospective buyer to lean forward and pull my book out first. (Have you browsed the dragon books in stores, superb artwork but non really stand out saying "hey look at me first").

I am compiling conceptuals to send to a professional. However I am having problems:

The title. A "The Little People of the Kalahari" the word 'The' bugs me. B "Kalahari Gnomes" simple but........
My aim is to show Africa, size of Gnomes and their activities in a moment’s glance.

Show Size A or B
Show scene A or B
Define character A or B
CoverCompares.jpg

Attachments

• Gnome1Full coverSmall.jpg
    Gnome1Full coverSmall.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Gnome1Full coversltSmall.jpg
    Gnome1Full coversltSmall.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
I am compiling conceptuals to send to a professional. However I am having problems:

The title. A "The Little People of the Kalahari" the word 'The' bugs me. B "Kalahari Gnomes" simple but........
My aim is to show Africa, size of Gnomes and their activities in a moment’s glance.

Show Size A or B
Show scene A or B
Define character A or B
View attachment 26607

I'm not sure whether you mean the first or second "the", but in one or perhaps both cases have you tried making it/them smaller than the rest of the text? Maybe do the same with "of the"? Maybe mess with the spacing? Maybe make Kalahari the largest. Varies it up a bit, and helps centre stage the main bit of the title; eg:

[SUP]The[/SUP] Little People_
of the______
Kalahari

Wrong font, I know, and very rough, but hopefully gives you some ideas. I assume these are both potential titles for the same book. Personally I prefer "The Little People of the Kalahari".

Moose.H

CoverComparesC&D.jpgThank you for that comment.

I definitely like "The Little People of the Kalahari" better and your layout is definitely an improvement. They are gnomes and even that bugs me. Gnomes are identifiable by the Western Readers. In every culture there are little people, but in Southern Africa they are Tokeloshis and definitely not fun. I did a chapter with them in and I was told bluntly that they would cause problems with children.

Readers like the name Gnomes so....

Much appreciated.

I'm not sure whether you mean the first or second "the", but in one or perhaps both cases have you tried making it/them smaller than the rest of the text? Maybe do the same with "of the"? Maybe mess with the spacing? Maybe make Kalahari the largest. Varies it up a bit, and helps centre stage the main bit of the title; eg:

[SUP]The[/SUP] Little People_
of the______
Kalahari

Wrong font, I know, and very rough, but hopefully gives you some ideas. I assume these are both potential titles for the same book. Personally I prefer "The Little People of the Kalahari".

Last edited:

Selorian

Patron
I personally prefer A. Why does it have to have the first 'the' if it bugs you? It actually reads better without it... 'Little People of the Kalahari'.

Users who are viewing this thread