Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Kafka's The Castle (1 Viewer)

Short Tooth

I'm currently reading this, are there any fans out there I've had the book for four years and I'm only just getting round to it. It's great so far. Obviously about beauraucracy (I never spell that word right), alienation and bizarre places, the surreal approach makes this a fascinating read. His main characters are succeptable to outburts much like Dostoyevsky's RASKOLNIKOV, and I Like these characters traits. Anyone read it?

strangedaze

ive read pretty much all kafka, right down to the blue octavo notebooks. i think that the castle is meritous, even though the trial and the metamorphosis are, in my mind, his best stuff. the castle was never really finished, so that kind of irks me. i wonder what franzy had planned. also, im assuming you are reading him in translation. which edition? the latest one by harman, based on the restored text, read reeeeeeeeally weirdly to me, while the good old fashioned eddy and willa muir one read more smoothly. then again, rumor has it that the latter kind of doctored the manuscript to make their Christian-allegorical reading more coherent.

again, pretty good, but id take the trial or gregor any day.