Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Just Another 'Other'--SHORT Essay (1 Viewer)

LoneWolf

I sat down to yet another standardized test, perhaps it was the HSAP, maybe the SAT, and mindlessly began to bubble in my name, address, sex, birthdate, and other useful (or so they say) information. And before I knew it I was there again at that box entitled Ethnicity. I sat, still among the busy pencils, while my own remained poised in thoughtful repose.

I read the choices at least twice, wondering if they got it right this time, but knowing that they hadn't. White, African-American, Asian Pacific...Other. I was more than ready to bubble in both African American and Asian Pacific, but my eyes came to rest on the small note undermeath the title: Bubble only one. I heaved a heavy sigh as I watched my hopes scatter like awakened dust.

With a roll of my eyes and a shift in my chair I grudgingly filled in 'Other'. But that is not what I want to be. That's not what I chose to be. However, that is what they--Collegboard and the others--that is what they chose for me. Sure, I may get various scholarships and opportunities, but it doesn't really matter at all if I'm just an 'Other' and nothing else.

I wonder sometimes how long it has been that way. I wonder, if there is a majority and a minority, am I a double minority?

Yeah, it's unfinished right now (and probably for forever). I'm stuck and don't know what else to write, but I guess that's a good ending-type thing.