Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Judgewood: Intro (235 words, violence) (1 Viewer)

Red Heron

Post what you think!

Update at post #8!

~~~

I was fighting it, as usual. Beating it with my fists, breaking it's brittle ribs with a pipe, caving it's head in with a rock, painting my dreamscape with it's blood. It begged and bargained and pleaded and demanded and cursed, but I had none of it, and never will. It can rot.

A fresh, sunny, spring morning greeted me when I awoke in my new apartment, 137 Lake Road, Judgewood New York.

Three months before it was darkness and white pain, my spine cracking as my heart burned. I never sleep well in the winter. I fight like I'm stuck in mud, and it slithers away gleefully to wreak havoc on my body.

I crawled out of my bed, noting with halfhearted disgust the sweaty sillouette I'd left on my sheets. I was slick with the stuff from my toes to my balls to my eyebrows. My skin crept as I felt it explore my dermis, noting tendon, vein, arterie, and nerve, relishing the visceral contents of it's plaything. Thank God there was still some coffee in the pot. I nuked that while I waited for a fresh batch to perk. It was 3:58 in the morning, and in Judgewood, a young man was strangling his fiance; but I wouldn't know that till the next month when I moved into their old place.

I drank that pot of coffee in ten minutes flat.

Last edited:

bioclasm

I was hooked, I'll admit, but was then jarred by the "...fresh, sunny, spring morning." I think you could do away with that sentence entirely, since all it does is establish place, which you also do later. I am curious to know what "it" is, and so want to hear more. So you're doing your job ;)

What kind of story is this?

Red Heron

It's a horror story, and thanks for the crit! I'll try to work on ironing out the space between those two paragraphs.

Is your avatar a fractal image?

Ahki

You already know how I feel about this. Now just write more. There's really not enough here to critique.

Robert_S

I like it. It has a directness I prefer in lit. You also folded description nicely into the course of the narration. In other words, description is not an aside, but part of the scene of action as well. I really like this.

Red Heron

Changed that sentence, and caught some spelling errors. Better or Worse?

~~~

I was fighting it, as usual. Beating it with my fists, breaking it's brittle ribs with a pipe, caving it's head in with a rock, painting my dreamscape with it's blood. It begged and bargained and pleaded and demanded and cursed, but I had none of it, and never will. It can rot. I awoke from my night of vigor refreshed and rejuvenated.

Three months before it was darkness and white pain, my ribs cracking as my heart burned. I never sleep well in the winter. I fight like I'm stuck in mud, and it slithers away gleefully to wreak havoc on my body.

I crawled out of my bed, noting with halfhearted disgust the sweaty silhouette I'd left on my sheets. I was slick with the stuff from my toes to my balls to my eyebrows. My skin crept as I felt it explore my dermis, noting tendon, vein, artery, and nerve, relishing the visceral contents of it's plaything. Thank God there was still some coffee in the pot. I nuked that while I waited for a fresh batch to perk. It was 3:58 in the morning, and in Judgewood, a young man was strangling his fiance; but I wouldn't know that till the next month when I moved into their old place.

I drank that pot of coffee in ten minutes flat.

Ranji

It's pretty short to critique, but since that's my job I'll do my best.
It creates a horrific image. In a good way. Powerful stuff. Much like his coffee.
It hooked me completely. MORE.
But one thing I would personally change is the part where the multiple "ands" come in to place. Instead, I suggest you use full stops.

" It begged. It Bargained......."
I feel shorter sentences give a more dramatic impact.

twentysix26

Very good, I would love to read more. My only real critique is the word til, I am not a fan of til and I, personally, prefer to read until or at the very least 'til with an apostrophe. But, other than my own personal preference when it comes to til this was wonderful and I would love to read more.

ZayneJ

This was actually quite engaging as an opening. You managed to establish a visual style and a bit of character personality all in one fell swoop.

Users who are viewing this thread