Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Jonathan Lethem: The Fortress of Solitude (1 Viewer)

Magnum Opus

Has anyone read this book?

I first heard about it and expected a lot from it, and so far have been a bit dissappointed to be honest.

One of my biggest qualms has been the writing style, it seems...disjointed or something, I can't put a finger on it exactly. I mean it has made delving into the story very hard to do, and usually I don't have a problem reading anything; if I did Norse mythology wouldn't stand proud on my bookshelf like it does.

Still, the book, from the word go has been very hard to get into, and I can't put a finger on it.

Has anyone else read the book who might be able to offer insight.

Winged Sandals

(This will probably be a very stupid statement; brace yourself.) The Fortress of Solitude? As in Superman? o_O;

Er, as for your question, I obviously haven't read the book, but if you aren't getting a feel for it, it might be best to set it aside for now. Or maybe have some mind candy avaliable to read whenever you get into a slump with it, heh.

Magnum Opus

No it isn't about Superman, though that is the most obvious question that follows my namingt he book, and I should have madethat clearer.

It's actually about New York, set some years ago, and Black-White relations between two boys, and how they find refuge in their friendship.

At least that is what it is touted as, but I may not figure that out since I can't get far enough into it to figue it out.

The thing is like I expressed before, I don't usually have this sort of trouble when I read. I just for some reason can't get into this book, and for the life of me can't even remember what it is I have read.

Though I have tried that tact, stepping away from it, but it doesn't seem to help.