Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

JK Rowling (1 Viewer)

rashadow

I don't know if it has been already said and I do not care who you are. READ HARRY POTTER! I do not care what you think about the genre or the movies you have gosta read the whole series. You must. All agree that the Harry Potter novels are future classics. Even Stephen King loves em. This is fantasy at it's best and most whimsical. Truly a delight. Just imagine if these books were around when you were young.

Chris

I don't know about fantasy at its best, but these books definately are fun to read! I ploughed through all five books in about 1.5 weeks. They are really good and really well written, my favourite so far is probably Order of the Phoenix, but Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban come close. :D

sully474

They are a pretty good read, but is it just me, or is JK Rowling not very good at portraying the actions of the supposedly evil characters.

Malfoy never really seems do be as evil as he could easily be. You only ever hear him taunt Harry, Ron and Hermione, and try to get them into trouble.

Voldemort seemed like a rather calm and quiet person when met in person. In the way people talked and such, Voldemort is evil enough all right, but not particularily in his actions. Sure, he killed a few people, but never without a reason. It was his colleagues that killed all of the muggles. He only took out people, personally, if there was a significance in doing it.

Snape isn't evil, even though he is called it many times. He is a very biased teacher, but he never really does a whole lot. And, who can really blame him for his actions towards Harry after what his father did to him. ROn and Hermione are sort of Sirius and Lupin to him. Hermione is Lupin, who makes halfhearted efforts to stop the other two, and Ron is Sirius, who is just as bad as Harry.

Umbridge definately isn't evil. She is simply following her beliefs.

Chris

It (Voldemort) was his colleagues that killed all of the muggles. He only took out people, personally, if there was a significance in doing it.

And doesn't that make him incredibly evil? In that muggle life is so insignificant to him, that he can't even be bothered to kill them himself. To corrupt and twist his wizards into doing his dirty work, thereby creating a gallery of villains, is much more, in my opinion, sinister and will have a greater impact on the world he is trying to rule.

Umbridge not evil? Maybe not in her mind, but the actions she took in Phoenix were beyond the ethics of even, I think, the ministry of magic. I personally loathed this character to such a point that my enjoyment of Phoenix was seriously tainted by it.

hollyoake

i think the whole point was that you are meant to loath her... she was wonderfully writen, as was Snape! the more you have feelings for them, then the evidence is clear that they were portrayed very well!

Chris

I agree.

"Phoenix" was very weird for me because even though I was supposed to hate Umbridge and the Ministry of Magic, they were so evil that I just felt frustrated when reading it. That's opposed to someone like Voldemort who I find great fun to read. I don't know, I guess I'm strange. I'll have to read the book again to see if I still feel that way.

hollyoake

i have found that i can't seem to be able to get into the books again... like reading them all has ruined it for me... :?:

Vixen

Something tells me Malfloy may be on the edge of good and evil, and that rowling underportrayed his evil side on porpuse, but I could be wrong. I tend to think of her as a genuis...

A_MacLaren

I think The Order of the Phoenix is the weakest book. Rowling's editors appear to be too scared to touch anything she writes, and so she gets away with a fairly indulgent, wishy-washy plot.
Malfoy's evil. Rowling's already said he won't be turning good or working for the good side, like Snape. And he threatened Harry with death.

rashadow

The Order of the Phoenix is not the weakest book. It stands as strong as any of the others. It continues her ongoing story which is far from wishy washy. And if it's a bit indulgent, so what.

Chris

A_MacLaren said:
Malfoy's evil. Rowling's already said he won't be turning good or working for the good side, like Snape.

But Snape does work for the good side. He's part of the order. Sure he can be a bit of a tosser, but, as far as we know, he is a goody.

A_MacLaren

But Snape does work for the good side. He's part of the order. Sure he can be a bit of a tosser, but, as far as we know, he is a goody.

Yes, that's what I said. Snape works for the good side, but Malfoy never will.

The Order of the Phoenix is not the weakest book. It stands as strong as any of the others. It continues her ongoing story which is far from wishy washy. And if it's a bit indulgent, so what.

Phoenix is very much the weakest book. She sets up a vague hook right at the beginning, then plays around describing the Ministry of Magic and getting far too involved in Humbridge and Harry's terrifically unexciting love sub-plot, then says 'Oh right! The plot!', whereupon she suddenly takes Harry to a life-or-death situation and kills off a major character so we feel that we got something out of the book other than a sense of dissatisfaction.
Then we get taken back to Hogwarts to learn 'the whole story', which turns out to be the biggest cop-out you could possibly imagine.

Chris

A_MacLaren said:

Yes, that's what I said. Snape works for the good side, but Malfoy never will.

Ah okay. Misread you there, sorry. :oops:

I'll have to disagree with you about Order of the Phoenix though. Book five was about the Ministry of Magic; it's influence, it's corruption, it's ignorance, power etc. Umbridge is the enforcer of all these bad attributes, so it makes sense to have her clash with Harry, our hero. The plot is the Ministry's take over of Hogwarts. Overall, I found Order of the Phoenix to be much more pointed than Goblet of Fire, which, while still enjoyable, tended to dilly dally.

A_MacLaren

Phoenix might have been better if it was a lot shorter. Think Chamber of Secrets size.
There was very little mystery, which I think is what these books depend upon. Apart from a vague mention of a 'weapon' at the start, Harry just dances about getting into mischief with Umbridge. Which, fair enough, does have a point, but it's not that great a point that it can maintain a book over six hundred pages.
A bit more on the weapon, a lot less pages and less indulgence on Rowling's part would have gone a long way to making this better.
Goblet is my second favourite book. Definitely the darkest. It was the most twisted, at the end, and I can still remember staying up till three a.m, finishing it off. Ah, memories...

Chris

Yeah, Cedric's fate is the most chilling moment in the entire series (so far anyway). Goblet definately had a fantastic ending.

You actually think i haven't read them!!!!????? :roll: i love Harry Potter! i have read all of them and have seen all the movies at leats twice each. The first and second i have seen like a thousand time and i've read the books tooooo many times to count! :p :wink: :lol: :D :) :eek:

jules

i've read them all numerous times, both the american and the UK versons. PoA was my favourite, but i do love them all. i'm so excited for the next one, as well!
:D
xoxoxoxo