Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

JK Rowling: Love or loathe? (1 Viewer)

BlackWolf

You got to give the woman this; she drives people to extremes. You either adore her unreservedly :-D or spit on her name :-x. Personally, I swing between the two :-D:-x, but one thing I have never thought about the Harry Potter series is 'meh'.

enron1982

I actually just started the first Potter book, and i wish i had started it ten years ago. it's pretty entertaining. I always thought it was "just a kids book". people are right when they say that it's for people of all ages. I'm enjoying it. As for Rowling herself, she's created an empire and i think anybody who's pursuing the field of writing should have the utmost admiration and respect for her. she's created real magic out of an idea, and i think that's something that everyone as a writer really strives for.

mandax

I love J.K. Rowling. So what if it's not the finest literature of our time? If you don't enjoy it, you should still respect it. She has so many fans because her books are so entertaining to many people and they bring a magical environment to life. That's a huge accomplishment, in my opinion, so she shouldn't be hated at all.

RonGreen

Eh, she is quite the inspiration for anyone. Not just writers.

She literally went from a welfare single Mother to a billionaire. Of course, that didn't come without hard-work and a passion for writing. But that is probably the coolest thing ever.

The books get people to read. Not just children, but any demographic. It descends across age boundaries. I for one find them the most entertaining books I've ever read. They are a lot deeper than people give them credit with. They deal with real life issues just with a magic twist to it.

Shawn

WF Veterans
I was impressed with the themes in this last book. But she has only constructed a very successful series. She's pretty much a genre of her own.

At least until she writes another book.

ClancyBoy

I was impressed with the themes in this last book. But she has only constructed a very successful series. She's pretty much a genre of her own.

At least until she writes another book.

You're actually Ms. Rowling, aren't you. I can't prove it now, but I shall someday.

Shawn

WF Veterans
While I would love to be a woman that's richer than the Queen... no. I've never had any real desire to be filthy rich, anyway.

I'm saying, the Potter books are a genre to themselves, since they sell so much... but Rowling will write another children's book, and it will probably be the epitome of cliche.

she singlehandedly revived the book industry. thanx to her we are cruising here as a writer not getting too depressed about our prospects.

Amour

I love J.K. Rowling. So what if it's not the finest literature of our time? If you don't enjoy it, you should still respect it. She has so many fans because her books are so entertaining to many people and they bring a magical environment to life. That's a huge accomplishment, in my opinion, so she shouldn't be hated at all.

^bump

Mike C

WF Veterans
she singlehandedly revived the book industry.

Uh... no. She single-handedly revived Bloomsbury. The rest of the industry got by just fine without her.

I've not read the books, so won't comment on them, but I respect her achievement.

enron1982

Yeah, i guess the bottom line of this thread would be: While J.K. Rowling may not be the most talented or hard working writer, her worldly achievments should be something any aspiring writer should look up to and strive for.

Rob

You either adore her unreservedly or spit on her name.
There's another option, one which applies to many people, I suspect. I don't care about her one way or the other. My kids haven't read her books and nor have I.

Cheers,
Rob

Stewart

You got to give the woman this; she drives people to extremes. You either adore her unreservedly or spit on her name.

Actually, no. I don't adore her and I don't resent her. Hell, I've never even met her so I don't know what I think of her. If anything, I admire her achievements but I am saddened that adults contributed to her fortune, except those adults legitimately buying for their kids.

Last edited:

Jam

I read the first three Harry Potter books (purely because everyone told me too) and I have to say that they were extremely entertaining. I do respect Rowling as an amazing story teller, but when you actually analyze her writing...it's nothing special, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. I do think she's a formidable writer but, at the same time, I don't understand the amount of fame that she's accumulated as there are many other authors that are just as deserving.

RedKnight

Love. Love, love, LOVE.

Altough this will undoubtably earn my the ire of some members, I put Harry Potter right up there with LOTR, Narnia or childrens' classics like Alice In Wonderworld.

I could explain my reasoning until I turn blue in the face, but let's cut to chase: JKR provides a unique story in a unique voices, gracefully juggling Dahl-esque humor and Tolkien-style scope. In doing so, she has successfully tackled humanity's greatest equalizers, love and loss and made a statement on power in the process. While none of these themes are exactly uncommon in literature, many attempts at dealing with them fall flat for any number of reasons. JKR, however, has masterfully woven these three threads together into a powerful story, preaching words of wisdom without ever seeming preachy.

That's why I love her work.

Last edited:

Lyonidus

Im a mix.

I do love the harry potter books, but i also think that she is slightly overrated.
I read the harry potter books and i cant help but feel that she has borrowed alot from other authors and that some of her stories are a bit weak. But despite all this i love the potter series and still think she's a great author (but not the best)

evlddd

I like her writing style, but the Harry Potter books are overated in my opinion. That may just be that I am older that I was when the first book came out, so my book preferences have changed alot since then.

M

movieman-c

I love the entire series. But it's all a matter of perspective. I find her stories to be undeniably imaginative, leaving the reader guessing. I also find the emotional level in the series to be infinitely more developed than that of average children's literature. However, I find that at times, certain segments give way to a slightly amateurish leaning.