Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

James Clavell (1 Viewer)

B

Baron

In many discussions about book and authors on this forum I have never yet seen James Clavell mentioned. Why is that?

Published book credits include, King Rat, Tai-Pan, Shogun, Noble House, Whirlwind and Gai-Jin.

Film adaptations: The Fly, Watusi, Five Gates to Hell, Walk like a Dragon, The Great Escape, 633 Squadron, The Satan Bug, To Sir With Love, Where's Jack?, The last Valley, Shogun and Noble House.

Is there no-one here who has enjoyed any of these books or the film adaptations?

Centurion

I loved every single one of his books. One of the best novel writers of our time in my opinion. He has been on my favourites list for a long time and I doubt anyone could knock him............hmmm...but maybe on this site..lol

B

Baron

I loved every single one of his books. One of the best novel writers of our time in my opinion. He has been on my favourites list for a long time and I doubt anyone could knock him............hmmm...but maybe on this site..lol
I've not seen anyone else on this site (until now) even mention him.

The Backward OX

WF Veterans
In many discussions about book and authors on this forum I have never yet seen James Clavell mentioned. Why is that?

Published book credits include, King Rat, Tai-Pan, Shogun, Noble House, Whirlwind and Gai-Jin.

Film adaptations: The Fly, Watusi, Five Gates to Hell, Walk like a Dragon, The Great Escape, 633 Squadron, The Satan Bug, To Sir With Love, Where's Jack?, The last Valley, Shogun and Noble House.

Is there no-one here who has enjoyed any of these books or the film adaptations?

Guess who's seen at least three of Clavell's adaptations?

TSWL, years ago, doesn't seem to make it back to re-runs these days.
633 - quite enjoyed it in my action war films phase. Preferred Dam Busters, as 633 fictional and DB not.
The piece de resistance of course is TGE. Piss myself every time I see that oaf of a guard in the cooler having his keys lifted by Hilts. And The Ferret was probably true-to-life. It's repeated on TV at least twice, maybe three times, every year. Gave it a miss last time. Although I still manage to listen to Elmer Bernstein's theme music at least once a week as it's one of the tracks on my exercise Mp3 player.

Last edited:
B

Baron

Guess who's seen at least three of Clavell's adaptations?

TSWL, years ago, doesn't seem to make it back to re-runs these days.
633 - quite enjoyed it in my action war films phase. Preferred Dam Busters, as 633 fictional and DB not.
The piece de resistance of course is TGE. Piss myself every time I see that oaf of a guard in the cooler having his keys lifted by Hilts. And The Ferret was probably true-to-life. It's repeated on TV at least twice, maybe three times, every year. Gave it a miss last time. Although I still manage to listen to Elmer Bernstein's theme music at least once a week as it's one of the tracks on my exercise Mp3 player.
The Great Escape has to be an all time classic. For reading I recommend Shogun. The book is brilliant but the film didn't do it justice.