Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Jack Ketchum (1 Viewer)

T

Truth-Teller

Man's a genius in building revulsion and atmosphere. He is unflinching when telling the truth, and refuses to look away. Does not go for supernatural cop-out like King; he writes realistic horror--sick things that happen everyday in the news and our backyard.

Be warned.

enron1982

Nice, i can't wait.

King didn't always go for the cop out. He's always leaned towards the supernatural no matter what, i think that's where his heart is, it's his style. His earlier work (especially that of Bachman) is chalk full of real macabre horror. As of late, i haven't been too impressed, but his earlier work is always honest in my opinion. But yeah, Jack Ketchum....can't wait to read some of his stuff. I just discovered him and it sounds delightful.

T

Truth-Teller

After Ketchum, move on to Dahl.

If Ketchum is a genius, and King is a master--Dahl, my friend, is God.

Yes.. Roald Dahl. Seek out his short story fiction for adults, and his one novel.

enron1982

After Ketchum, move on to Dahl.

If Ketchum is a genius, and King is a master--Dahl, my friend, is God.

Yes.. Roald Dahl. Seek out his short story fiction for adults, and his one novel.

It's weird that you say that because i was just thinking about Dahl lately. He was basically the cornerstone of my childhood reading (i remember reading the witches about 10 times) and i actually forgot about him for a while. I also read his autobiography Boy. I've never gotten into his adult stuff but if you say it's worth the time, then i'll check it out as well. I just saw Roald Dahl's book of Ghost Stories on Amazon, which looks good. We shall see.

T

Truth-Teller

No. Not Ghost Stories. Ghost Stories is only a compilation of different authors whom Dahl personally selected as an editor--and it's not that good.

Go and read "Tales of the Unexpected".

Stories written by Dahl himself.