Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

It's ya boi at it again (1 Viewer)

Adam Rendo

"I just don't know what I'm supposed to be, you know. Tried being a writer, but I hate what I write."

That's a quote from my favorite film Lost in Translation by the amazingly talented Sofia Coppola.

I've always struggled with liking my writing. I'd say about 90% of what comes out of my keyboard is poopypants. It's bad. And I've got rewriter's syndrome to the gills. But sometimes I produce something half-decent, something I can read without cringing, without debating whether it wouldn't be better if I became a goat herder instead of wasting my time arranging these letters. Those scenes justify it all.

✶✶✶

Two years ago I knuckled down and wrote a full first draft of a book. I printed one vanity copy and it's now slowly decomposing in my drawer.

Surrounding the creation of this big draft I've also written smaller ditties that have never seen any eyes but my own. I want to stop this habit of cave-dweller writing, of concealment. So now I'm trying something new. I'm publishing one story little bits at a time through the format of a web serial as diary entries of the different characters.

Note that this post is not promotion. There are no links here. Just the idea of publishing—that what I write is available on the internet for those who try to find it is a new experience, a new relationship with writing.

✶✶✶

I've found this forum and think hanging out with the writers on here will be a cool ancillary to this 'challenge' I'm doing.

So hello good people! I hope to see you around. I'm not very experienced with fora but I am excited to see what I can learn on this platform and who I can learn it from.

Thank you for reading.

Let me end this introduction with the response Bill Murray gives to Scarlett Johansson after she describes her struggle with identity and purpose summarized in the quote at the top of this page.

"I'm not worried about you.
Keep writing."

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Congrats on completing a book!

Welcome to the forum!!

Last edited:

Steve_Rivers

It's great you've got that first full book out of the way. It certainly sounds like you've done loops and back in trying things out, too.
I can't try it out (not being US based) but did you think about Kindle Vella for the web serial?
Either way, welcome to the forums, Adam!

KeganThompson

Welcome! I hate my writing too, to the point where I cried a little (maybe more than once)LOL but that's why i'm here, so i can learn to make it better and hate it a little less :)