Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

It was a dark and stormy night... (1 Viewer)

C

chipspencer

"It was a dark and stormy night."

That is probably one of the most famous opening lines from a Peanuts daily comic that I can remember. As cheesy as it may sound, it was also the line (and those that followed) that sort of piqued my interest in writing.

My name is Chip; I am a forty year old freshman (Steve Carell--watch out.) After a lifetime of working in electronics and computers, I chose to go back to school and finally start earning my degree. However, I ended up taking that left turn in Albuquerque and wound up in a Bioscience curriculum. But more than that, I got back into writing. Something that I had not done since I was in highschool. It took a summer creative writing class, taken as a 'filler' class, to actually drop kick my interest back into play.

I have written a few short stories, a handful of poetry, and a 2 act play. But I am writing for my own enjoyment. If I manage to actually get something published along the way then "yay me."

I look forward to becoming involved in the forums by reading all of your work and critiqueing the work as best I can before I submit my own.

Thanks,
Chip

mammamaia

welcome, chip!... better a late re-start than none, right?...

btw, that line was snagged by charlie schultz from the late, unlamented lord bulwer-lytton, of purple prose infamy... there's even a contest by that name, in his honor [lord b-l's, that is], to reward the writer of the worst opening line submitted...

love and hugs, maia