Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Is World Building Necessary? (1 Viewer)

Gamer_2k4

WF Veterans
It's not necessary. You need to understand your own world well enough to be believable and consistent, but too many people are so in love with worldbuilding (including well-known published authors) that it even trumps plot and character development. You'll have an atrociously written story that is nonetheless praised by some because of its "depth of worldbuilding." Never mind that the plot is schizophrenic, never mind that the characters are shallow and interchangeable - it has great WORLDBUILDING!

As you can probably tell, this is a pet peeve of mine. I have far more respect for a compact, tightly-plotted story with memorable characters than some doorstopper epic that's twice as long as it needs to be because the author felt compelled to include every insignificant element of his own extensive notes. We get it. These authors thought about what they wanted to write before they actually wrote it. The real craft isn't in that, though, but it choosing which parts of that planning need to be in the story and which should be left out.

Lawless

Generally agreeing with the previous comment, I'd still like to point out that I have seen two worlds that are so amazing that I just want to be there (I mean, as a reader, not as an inhabitant) and I don't care all that much what's going to happen and who will make it happen.

Llyralen

Generally agreeing with the previous comment, I'd still like to point out that I have seen two worlds that are so amazing that I just want to be there (I mean, as a reader, not as an inhabitant) and I don't care all that much what's going to happen and who will make it happen.
I would like to hear which two worlds those were. :)

Lawless

which two worlds those were

1. David Brin / Kiln People
2. A.&N. Strugatsky / Prisoners of Power aka. The Inhabited Island

It also occurred to me that one or another alternative history scenario can be so fascinating in its own right that the events and characters become secondary. (I mean, unless the author writes something really extraordinarily awful.)

Llyralen

1. David Brin / Kiln People
2. A.&N. Strugatsky / Prisoners of Power aka. The Inhabited Island

It also occurred to me that one or another alternative history scenario can be so fascinating in its own right that the events and characters become secondary. (I mean, unless the author writes something really extraordinarily awful.)
True.

Lawless

Have you ever feared going to bed because in the darkness all that occupies your head is thoughts of killing yourself? It gets in the way of any creative thoughts.

If I may say so, the bed is no place for creative thoughts to begin with.

Jokes aside, after I saw a horror movie in childhood, I used to be terrified of sleeping with an open door for quite a few years to come. Lucky that's over.

I don't feel comfortable alone with my thoughts, which might be the reason why I find writing easier than speaking.

As for going to bed, you might want to check out the computer program called Neuro Programmer. It's able to create a wide selection of brainwave noises which I have found a superb means for getting rid of the storm of thoughts in my head.

Llyralen

I just have to contrast. Luckily you can’t throw a rotten vegetable at me from wherever you are. My best ideas (imo) come from my dreams. My dreams are most often like cool movies I’ve never seen before. To get to sleep I imagine happyish scenes from my WIPs to fall asleep to, but we don’t all have this luxury about sleep and I know that! I’m sorry!

This bed is my sacred muse… may Temperpedic forever smile it’s benevolence on us all.

The proper response “Vegetable? Sporting such unpurchaseable riches deserves nothing less than a shot gun…”

But haha the internet has saved me.

But I’m sorry! I’m lucky to have escaped PTSD and sleep maladies, but I hope we can all use all of our experiences for inspiration to write and connect with others. Which is what we all need. (Sing with me) What the world needs now— books, sweet books. Okay, I’ll stop.

Last edited:

TheMightyAz

Mentor
If I may say so, the bed is no place for creative thoughts to begin with.

Jokes aside, after I saw a horror movie in childhood, I used to be terrified of sleeping with an open door for quite a few years to come. Lucky that's over.

I don't feel comfortable alone with my thoughts, which might be the reason why I find writing easier than speaking.

As for going to bed, you might want to check out the computer program called Neuro Programmer. It's able to create a wide selection of brainwave noises which I have found a superb means for getting rid of the storm of thoughts in my head.
Bedtime has always been thought time for me. Only when I'm completely exhausted can I sleep. It was fine when I was employed but now I'm unemployed, I'm back to 'thought time'. As a kid I had night terrors and sleep paralysis most nights. I would wake wrapped in sodden bedclothes most mornings and could only sleep in the fatal position with my head beneath the sheets. I was convinced something was under my bed and in my attic. Every shadow hid something, every sound was potentially what the shadows hid. Because I was so terrified, I would often find myself in my parents bed so they took it upon themselves to put a sneck on my bedroom door. This made matters much worse because the light on the landing only reminded me of the darkness in my room and the fact I could not get to the light even if I wanted to.

I was brought up to write horror.

Llyralen

Bedtime has always been thought time for me. Only when I'm completely exhausted can I sleep. It was fine when I was employed but now I'm unemployed, I'm back to 'thought time'. As a kid I had night terrors and sleep paralysis most nights. I would wake wrapped in sodden bedclothes most mornings and could only sleep in the fatal position with my head beneath the sheets. I was convinced something was under my bed and in my attic. Every shadow hid something, every sound was potentially what the shadows hid. Because I was so terrified, I would often find myself in my parents bed so they took it upon themselves to put a sneck on my bedroom door. This made matters much worse because the light on the landing only reminded me of the darkness in my room and the fact I could not get to the light even if I wanted to.

I was brought up to write horror.
Definitely our toughest things are a crucial source of inspiration.

The bed muse is summoned again!

My tagline on another forum (and I should look into putting it here) is something Joseph Campbell said that when I heard it I wanted to pluck up as a constant reminder for me to face conflict (I hate conflict). “Where you stumble, there lies your treasure. The very cave you are afraid to enter turns out to be the source of what you are looking for. The damned thing in the cave that was so dreaded is now the center.” A very inspiring way to say that hopefully time and our will power can change suffering and terror into wisdom and reward. Bless you, sir! The Bed Muse might choose to change her head to something prettier (I’m picturing Mombi from Return to Oz — what a terrifying villain! Wait, I better find clips… )

Man, I love that reference!

Lawless

My best ideas (imo) come from my dreams.

Bedtime has always been thought time for me.

Dreams are a different matter. So is staying up and working during the so-called bedtime. I was talking about lying in bed with the intention to fall asleep and finding yourself unable to stop thinking about your WIP. That's a problem.

Come to think of it, I guess I chose an unfortunate expression. I know in fact there are people who do almost everything except showering in bed. ;-)

Llyralen

Dreams are a different matter. So is staying up and working during the so-called bedtime. I was talking about lying in bed with the intention to fall asleep and finding yourself unable to stop thinking about your WIP. That's a problem.

Come to think of it, I guess I chose an unfortunate expression. I know in fact there are people who do almost everything except showering in bed. ;-)
Lol
Some inventor needs to get on that…

Last edited: