Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Is this too much of a coincidence in my plot? (1 Viewer)

ironpony

For my plot two characters want to follow the main villain around in order to get dirt on him. But the two characters are not working together, and are not aware that they tailing him. I need the villain not to notice that two guys are following him around, so they will each have to plant a tracking device on his car, not knowing of each other both doing it.

So is it too much of a coincidence if they both use the same kind of tracking device? I was told before that cellphones make good DIY tracking devices, but the battery goes dead in about a day, so not the best tracking device if you have to switch it out every day, without the villain noticing.

But what do you think? If they use the same type each, is it too much of a coincidence?

Steve_Rivers

I think the premise of two people tracking the same guy, and even being unaware of it, is totally fine and plausible. If the bad guy is making waves, its logical that more than one might be after him/her at a time.

The fact that both of them use a cellphone to do it is what I think many people might find a step too far.

The reason I think so is that i've researched tracking devices myself for a plot in the past - they are dirt cheap on the internet, connect to your phone very easily (so you dont have to use the cellphone as the tracker in the first place) and have magnets attached so you can sneakily plant them under a wheel rim or under a bumper, which a cellphone doesnt (If you've never watched it, I highly suggest watching Breaking Bad, this type of tracking is done as a major plot point and several times)

So considering the ease of access and use, and the fact their battery length is generally very good, my suggestion would be that one uses a cellphone and the other a traditional tracking sensor.

ironpony

Oh okay, thanks. I saw Breaking Bad and have researched that same type of device used in the show. But the problem with that kind of device though, is that you cannot track someone live it seems. In Breaking Bad, the characters had stick the tracking device on a car, wait a few days, and then take it off and plug into their computer to see where that character had gone in the last few days.

In mine, I want the characters to catch the villain in the act, when tracking him and following him. So I think the tracking devices would have to be live then, but is there live ones you can get? In my research, some say they are live but are there any hidden catches to that?

Steve_Rivers

Well Breaking Bad was set in 2008ish to 2012, when it was all a bit new and basic. If you google the various types and look at the ones they sell now, most have a live tracking subscription service that goes with them. As far as I can tell, having to pay for a subscription to get the live feed is the only hurdle.

ironpony

Oh okay, well actually in my story, the person tracking ends up killing someone by accident when things go wrong, and then has to hide the fact that he was there. But I don't want it to ever come up that he was there, or that the police could even find out. So is there a way to have live tracking without having to subscribe to anything like that, that would leave a papertrail of sorts? I want the only person to know about the live tracking, is the character doing it, if that's possible?

ironpony

Oh okay, so I guess they would both have to use cellphones then and switch them out everyday, for when they go dead?

Users who are viewing this thread