Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Is this plot too weird? (1 Viewer)

LivingPoetintheFlesh

My story called "The Man Melee" is about this woman named Billie McNally who lives in a city of women and also where men are called "aliens" and that she hates them but when she gets into a world of riots in her city of Amsterdam she must leave the city and live another life to get away from the aliens and the riots.

But what I am wondering if the aspect of the men being aliens is a little too odd or won't get the attention of an agent or publisher, I am thinking of sending it out there when it is done. But still what do you guys think?

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Does it have a conflict, obstacle, goal, motivation and stakes? Recently, I was concerned I wrote a story without obstacles which had "Heart of Glass" in the title. Give us a synopsis that touches on these aspects of the plot concerning the protagonist and antagonist. Post what these 4 parts are, and we will have an idea if your story idea is working. If it has that, it isn't considered weird.

Last edited:

LivingPoetintheFlesh

Does it have a conflict, obstacle, goal, motivation? Recently, I was concerned I wrote a story without obstacles which had "Heart of Glass" in the title. Give us a synopsis that touches on these aspects of the plot concerning the protagonist and antagonist. Post what these 4 parts are, and we will have an idea if your story idea is working. If it has that, it isn't considered weird.

Ok I will do that. it does have these things so I will see if you find it to your liking.

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
It's interesting though it would be remiss to overlook the gender equality angle that may arise, and which may be a red flag to an agent or publisher if not well-executed. But if you do a cracking job of it, the world's your oyster. This sounds like something Vonnegut might have cooked up.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
It's all in how you write it.

If you had told me before the fact that in a time when video games were all the rage, that someone would write a series about a child wizard and it would sell 500 million copies, I would have been just a little skeptical...lol!

Does she eventually learn to like men? That might be a more important issue with respect to publishers.

LivingPoetintheFlesh

It's all in how you write it.

If you had told me before the fact that in a time when video games were all the rage, that someone would write a series about a child wizard and it would sell 500 million copies, I would have been just a little skeptical...lol!

Does she eventually learn to like men? That might be a more important issue with respect to publishers.

She does learn to like one, in fact she falls in love with one but leaves her for Navada. (a planet where the aliens come from) that is from my outline.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
She does learn to like one, in fact she falls in love with one but leaves her for Navada. (a planet where the aliens come from) that is from my outline.
Well then perfect! As far as I know, romance is still the best-selling plot. You might want to think about having them be together somehow at the end. Did you know the first Pretty Woman movie ended with them apart? Disney had to re-film the ending because the test audience gave it thumbs down.

EternalGreen

It may be a little weird in that it doesn't seem to account for the rainbow of genetic and environmental factors that actually determine where you fall on the sex spectra.

Not to mention gender identity, expression, and perception . . .

SteveTheAviator

The film "Perfume" is weird when viewed out of context of the story: A serial killer who collects women's essence to make perfume.

The film "Upside Down" has a premise so weird, I can't make a sensible description. Here's the trailer https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1374992/

Stories with effective stories between characters can be engaging, despite the genre or niche they're in.