Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Is this a rejection letter? (1 Viewer)

MichelD

I received a reply today from a publisher regarding a memoir I submitted

He said he read my manuscript and enjoyed it. Whether there is a commercial book there is another matter, he said. It needs a bit more work, there's some repetition between the stories. Also it is written as a series of anecdotes and now that it's done probably would benefit from some work to give it more of a story arc.

There isn't a lot of (the name of my town ) history beyond my family and a sketch of the character of the town and the region might not be out of place since there has been so little in print. The town was booming for awhile with the mine, logging going full tilt and the cannery serving a healthy fishing fleet--all gone now.

He said maybe that is getting too far from my personal story but a bit of background would give the story more marketability. As it is, he called it “ a well-written, sensitive slice of coastal life” and said he could see some parts fitting into a future edition of regional stories and said “congratulations on a nice piece of work.”

Is this a rejection or a suggestion to get back to work on it?