Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Is there fanfiction specific to songs? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

druid12000

Hi, I was listening to Black Sabbath's song 'The Wizard' last night and thought it could be developed into a story.

I did a little research and the only specifics I could find involved using the actual lyrics in the song, i.e.: a character is given the lyrics to sing.

I'm thinking more of an homage to the song and the band. I would actually weave the lyrics into the story.

Is this a thing?

It's not something I would be looking to publish or make money from, necessarily, I just think it would be a cool thing to do.

Any thoughts?

JJBuchholz

I've come up with several stories derived from songs. It's not unheard of, and the sky is the limit. Use that inspiration you got
from the song, and run with it!

-JJB

Doodah

I'm halfway through a novella based on a song by Pink. I've received an insane amount of support from close friends and people I know that aren't even fans of Pink (Like that is truly possible :icon_cheesygrin:), yet they feel my story is a wonderful idea and keeps to the words and emotion in her song.

So, yeah, this is a thing. In fact, for me, it was more emotional than cerebral. I loved how the song filled my soul with such feeling and how I was able to pour those sentiments into my work.

Go for it! :thumbr:

druid12000

Very cool, I was thinking about it at work overnight. He comes waltzing into town and a lad is playing the harmonica...:grin:

Thanks!

JJBuchholz

I forgot to mention in my previous post that in addition to writing these stories intertwined with a song or based on it's lyrics, I have also read
the story back while listening to said song, and the emotional impact and/or plot of the story is that much more poignant. I would encourage
other writers to experiment with projects that combine a song and/or it's lyrics.

The result can sometimes make you see things in your own writing you might not have ever noticed before.

-JJB

Last edited:

druid12000

I forgot to mention in my previous post that in addition to writing these stores intertwined with a song or based on it's lyrics, I have also read
the story back while listening to said song, and the emotional impact and/or plot of the story is that much more poignant. I would encourage
other writers to experiment with projects that combine a song and/or it's lyrics.

The result can sometimes make you see things in your own writing you might not have ever noticed before.

-JJB

I was thinking about that last night, as well. Sarah McLachlan's song 'Possession' is a great example. It may not be word for word, but it's based on a letter/series of letters she received from a stalker. Ratchets up the creepy factor and gives the song even more depth.

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
I was thinking about that last night, as well. Sarah McLachlan's song 'Possession' is a great example. It may not be word for word, but it's based on a letter/series of letters she received from a stalker. Ratchets up the creepy factor and gives the song even more depth.

Yeah, that's a great one. It reads like a love song at first listen, but becomes far more potent when you factor that in. It's slightly worrying how little change it would need. Must be something about those 90s songs; in a similar vein I remember being told that Secret Smile by Semisonic was allegedly meant to be from the perspective of a child molester, though I've never been able to find evidence to back that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.