Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Is there a way I can make the love interest a part of my plot more? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironpony

Why not have the love interest be a journalist for a newspaper, or a reporter at a television station that is doing her own investigating? That way, her and your MC can literally bump into each other, figure out their common goal, as well as falling in love. For an even bigger spin on it, the police officer MC gets into a jam, and his love interest helps get him out, and gets her story in the process?

-JJB

This is how I wrote it originally in the outline, but as I started to write drafts I thought, well anyone with a youtube channel could go out and get this with today's media technology. However, I do want them to be married from the start though. But let's say she is part of the media. Is a cop going to tell his wife, "oh by the way, I am going to get payback on the villains and use my police powers to do it, wanna come see"... Or I could write it so she follows him without him detecting her doing it, but would she put herself in a dangerous situation like that though without it coming off as foolish. That's the problem I have is how do you make her risk her life, without it coming off as stupid to the reader.

Xander416

There is, but there are some movies where it's just not the same. For example, if Bruce Wayne found out about his parents murder after the fact, instead of being there, would that have been just as good, or better?
Maybe it would have been better for his psyche, but he otherwise probably never would have become Batman. The trauma he experienced seeing it happen was what led to this transformation. If he didn't witness their deaths, he would have better processed this trauma and led a more normal life and if he decided to fight crime at all, it would probably have been as a cop instead of a vigilante. Despite the illusion of sanity and level of restraint he (mostly) presents when dealing with criminals, any psychiatrist would tell you he's inherently mentally unstable and belongs in an institution. That's why he and the Joker are often compared as two sides of the same coin.

Last edited:

ironpony

Oh okay that makes sense. But I guess I just feel like the main character is better off seeing her death. But the only reason why she is killed, is because he interferes with the villains plans, and she would be there. If she is somewhere else, away from the main character and the villains, then the villains do not have a reason to kill her, if she is not interfering in some way, or at least that is how it seems so far. So I guess I need to write it so she interferes but at the same time, does not come off as foolish to the reader, for doing so.

Xander416

Oh okay that makes sense. But I guess I just feel like the main character is better off seeing her death. But the only reason why she is killed, is because he interferes with the villains plans, and she would be there. If she is somewhere else, away from the main character and the villains, then the villains do not have a reason to kill her, if she is not interfering in some way, or at least that is how it seems so far. So I guess I need to write it so she interferes but at the same time, does not come off as foolish to the reader, for doing so.
It really depends on how you want your MC to react. Being there when it happens just about always leads to the person constantly questioning, if not outright tormenting, themself about whether or not they could have done more. Then you have the choice of how to go about the quest for justice. Is your cop going to stick to the books or go full Frank Castle?

ironpony

Yes, I want him to go Frank Castle at the end. I wrote it so that she follows him there, because she is worried he will go Frank Castle on them, but I was told by readers that is not a very credible motivation to follow him, and that if a woman thought her husband was going to go Frank Castle on dangerous criminals, she would be scared and stay away from that, if the readers have a point?

Xander416

Yes, I want him to go Frank Castle at the end. I wrote it so that she follows him there, because she is worried he will go Frank Castle on them, but I was told by readers that is not a very credible motivation to follow him, and that if a woman thought her husband was going to go Frank Castle on dangerous criminals, she would be scared and stay away from that, if the readers have a point?
It depends on the love interest's motivation. Is she trying to prevent him from ruining not only his career but also his entire life by possibly going to prison? If yes, then that's something I could definitely believe happening.

ironpony

It depends on the love interest's motivation. Is she trying to prevent him from ruining not only his career but also his entire life by possibly going to prison? If yes, then that's something I could definitely believe happening.

Yes that is her motivation but I was told by readers she comes off as weak and foolish by risking her life for a husband that might be psycho, if that is true?

Xander416

Yes that is her motivation but I was told by readers she comes off as weak and foolish by risking her life for a husband that might be psycho, if that is true?
No, I don't think that's weak at all. Much the opposite to me, in fact. Obviously there are enough variables to fill a whole post, but in short I think writing the person off as unsavable is what would be a show of weakness.

Xander416

Oh okay, why would unsavable, be a weak character?
That's not what I mean. Obviously at this point in the story, your detective has yet to go off the reservation, right? This means the love interest still has a chance to stop him, but if she opts not to try, she must not love him very strongly.

ironpony

Yeah I wanted her to try but I was told that it wasn't a strong enough motivation, because if he is going to psycho, it would be more believable for her to be smart and stay away, or so I've been told.

I mean maybe the readers think it's more realistic for her to call the police on him, and not get involved herself directly and physically?

Xander416

Yeah I wanted her to try but I was told that it wasn't a strong enough motivation, because if he is going to psycho, it would be more believable for her to be smart and stay away, or so I've been told.
Love makes people do strange things, very few of them "smart." :mrgreen:

I mean maybe the readers think it's more realistic for her to call the police on him, and not get involved herself directly and physically?
Maybe her reasoning could be that he's more likely to listen to her trying to talk him down than a possible stranger?

ironpony

Love makes people do strange things, very few of them "smart." :mrgreen:

Maybe her reasoning could be that he's more likely to listen to her trying to talk him down than a possible stranger?

Yeah that would be her reasoning, but I guess the reader didn't like her following him and putting herself in harm's way though, and thought it was foolish of her. But she is doing it out of love.

Status
Not open for further replies.