Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Is it weird not to skip over this part of the story? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironpony

My story is a screenplay, and one scene is a character who is drugged by another character, by slipping the drug in his drink. However, I want the character to wake up drugged and tied up as a surprise, like he didn't know what happened to him and he is struggling to remember. But every movie scene, I can think of, always shows the person passing out from the drug first. So I am wondering can I not show that scene, and the readers will still understand what is happened, without being jarred out of it, and how it awkwardly skips over this part?

Last edited:
Skipping the scene entirely will likely make for a rather jarring transition without enough build up, but you might be able to disguise what's happening so it's not clear that the character has been drugged. For example, the character has multiple drinks, and the kidnapper has some subtle ticks that come off as creepy or suspicious but we don't directly see them spike the victims drink. As the night wears on things get blurry, lights flashing, spinning, then everything goes black. The watcher now isn't sure if the character has just gotten black-out drunk, or if they've been drugged, but in hindsight all those earlier clues fall into place.

ironpony

Oh okay. But if I want it to be a surprise, than I can't have build up, because build up takes away from a surprise being more of a surprise, doesn't it?

LadySilence

If you want to create the surprise effect, don't put it on right away, but towards the end of the book, as a flashback

K.S. Crooks

You could emphasize character drinking from a certain cup or mention powder/crystals/colour from the drug being present in a drink. You could have the person overlook or dismiss something they notice.

Newman

My story is a screenplay, and one scene is a character who is drugged by another character, by slipping the drug in his drink. However, I want the character to wake up drugged and tied up as a surprise, like he didn't know what happened to him and he is struggling to remember. But every movie scene, I can think of, always shows the person passing out from the drug first. So I am wondering can I not show that scene, and the readers will still understand what is happened, without being jarred out of it, and how it awkwardly skips over this part?

It's fine, the audience will understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.