Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Is it possible for this character to kill this other character accidentally? (1 Viewer)

ironpony

For my story, I want the main character, who is a cop, to kill another cop in a shootout by accident. But I want the cop to get away with it, and pin it on the antagonists in the shootout.

But I can't really have the MC shoot the other cop, accidentally, because the bullitts will be too traceable back to him. So the MC has to kill him in a way he can make untraceable, but is it possible for a cop to kill another accidentally, with a knife or his bare hands, before recognizing the person to be another cop that you know?

Or does it make the MC seem stupid if he kills him in a fight, without recognizing him?

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
For my story, I want the main character, who is a cop, to kill another cop in a shootout by accident. But I want the cop to get away with it, and pin it on the antagonists in the shootout.

But I can't really have the MC shoot the other cop, accidentally, because the bullitts will be too traceable back to him. So the MC has to kill him in a way he can make untraceable, but is it possible for a cop to kill another accidentally, with a knife or his bare hands, before recognizing the person to be another cop that you know?

Or does it make the MC seem stupid if he kills him in a fight, without recognizing him?

Can he shoot him accidentally and then make it look like the antagonist stole his gun?

Non Serviam

WF Veterans
During the shootout, protagonist fires and hits a vehicle. Shot misses people in vehicle but shatters windscreen. Driver loses control of car, crashes it into other cop.

ironpony

Oh sorry, I should have mentioned that the MC found out who the villains are by hacking another characters computer and then getting a name. He then follows this new person around illegally, since he got the evidence in a way that legally be considerd 'fruit of the poisonous tree'. When following the villains, the shootout with the other cop happens, and the MC accidentally kills him. But the MC cannot admit to anyone that he was there, because then the investigation becomes fruit of the poisonous tree to a degree then, which the MC does not want to happen. So the MC cannot tell anyone he was there, when it comes to framing the antagonists for it.

So this means that the protagonist cannot use his gun at all while there, not even to shoot a car, which would kill the other cop, because then that bullet gets traced back to him, thus proving he was there. So I don't think he can fire his gun at all therefore, if he does not want to be traced back there.

druid12000

Oh sorry, I should have mentioned that the MC found out who the villains are by hacking another characters computer and then getting a name. He then follows this new person around illegally, since he got the evidence in a way that legally be considerd 'fruit of the poisonous tree'. When following the villains, the shootout with the other cop happens, and the MC accidentally kills him. But the MC cannot admit to anyone that he was there, because then the investigation becomes fruit of the poisonous tree to a degree then, which the MC does not want to happen. So the MC cannot tell anyone he was there, when it comes to framing the antagonists for it.

So this means that the protagonist cannot use his gun at all while there, not even to shoot a car, which would kill the other cop, because then that bullet gets traced back to him, thus proving he was there. So I don't think he can fire his gun at all therefore, if he does not want to be traced back there.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Why not just have the villains kill the cop, while he is helpless to do anything lest he give himself away? Is there a reason the MC has to kill him, by accident?

ironpony

Oh I just thought it would create more of a dramatic and moral dilemma for the MC, that the the villains keep on getting away with their crimes and the only way the MC is able to get them is to frame him and cover up his own accidental crime now as a result. After this, the villains are trying to convince the police that they were framed by the MC. But I thought it would be more thematically interesting, if their pleas about being framed were actually true, rather than just making it up though. Plus I wanted the MC to be more active in bringing the villains down and thus pinning it on them, where if the villains kill the cop, then they are digging their own hole and the MC doesn't have to do as much to bring them down therefore.

Last edited:

druid12000

Oh I just thought it would create more of a dramatic and moral dilemma for the MC, that the the villains keep on getting away with their crimes and the only way the MC is able to get them is to frame him and cover up his own accidental crime now as a result. After this, the villains are trying to convince the police that they were framed by the MC. But I thought it would be more thematically interesting, if their pleas about being framed were actually true, rather than just making it up though. Plus I wanted the MC to be more active in bringing the villains down and thus pinning it on them, where if the villains kill the cop, then they are digging their own hole and the MC doesn't have to do as much to bring them down therefore.

Ok, I see where you're going and I agree it would make for better tension.

How about a Wile E. Coyote contraption gone wrong? Is there an ACME warehouse close by?

Sorry, my twisted sense of humor gets the best of me sometimes...

Can the MC kill the cop on purpose using one of the villains' guns? Like, the cop wings one of them and his gun goes flying. MC sneaks over and retrieves the gun (maybe he's got some latex gloves in his pocket so the prints are still reliable), pops a cap in the cop, then plants the gun.

ironpony

Ok, I see where you're going and I agree it would make for better tension.

How about a Wile E. Coyote contraption gone wrong? Is there an ACME warehouse close by?

Sorry, my twisted sense of humor gets the best of me sometimes...

Can the MC kill the cop on purpose using one of the villains' guns? Like, the cop wings one of them and his gun goes flying. MC sneaks over and retrieves the gun (maybe he's got some latex gloves in his pocket so the prints are still reliable), pops a cap in the cop, then plants the gun.

Oh well the MC doesn't have the motivation in him to kill the other cop on purpose? He doesn't want to commit murder of another cop that he works with, so he will have do it by accident therefore I think.

Have you considered a throwdown gun?

Oh well what is a throwdown gun exactly? I looked it up and read the explanation but I am still not understanding the concept of how it works.

The MC can use objects that are around. Maybe an electric cable.

This is possible too, as long as he can kill the other cop by accident without recognizing him. The other cop would have to not recognize the MC either, because he wouldn't attack the MC either if he did.

JBF

Staff member
Board Moderator
Oh well what is a throwdown gun exactly? I looked it up and read the explanation but I am still not understanding the concept of how it works.

Essentially, a non-issued gun that a shady cop would carry in the event they were party to a bad shoot and had time before help arrived to fix their story. Usually something cheap and untraceable with no connection to either officer or department.

Suppose your officer shoots (accidentally or otherwise) a suspect under circumstances that won't stand up to scrutiny; say Suspect Joe was getting out of the shower when Officer Shady sees him and starts blasting. Now, your suspect may be a piece of trash - but that doesn't justify four rounds center mass, especially since he had a bar of soap in one hand and a scrub brush in the other.

To cover his ass, Officer Shady produces the throwdown gun he carries for occasions such as this. He fires two rounds into the wall, wipes the gun for prints, and plants it on the dead man in lieu of the brush. When his backup arrives Office Shady is standing over a body with a couple of bullet holes in the chest and a pistol in hand. In the inquiry to follow he claims Suspect Joe came out of the shower armed, that he refused to set it down and in fact fired twice, and that those four rounds Officer Shady fired were defensive in nature. The crime-scene handlers dig two slugs out of the wall, bag the suspect's gun, and note the spent casing from Officer Shady's duty weapon at the bathroom door and two empties in the bathtub.

Barring another witness or any later incriminating evidence, Office Shady is presumed to have made a good shoot and nobody pays it any more mind.

If your murder needs to happen in a pitched gunfight...that complicates things some.

ironpony

Oh well the murder has to happen by accident, and I thought that a shootout with the antagonists would be best to cause that accident to happen. This way, he kills the wrong person, thinking it was someone else who is there, trying to kill him. However, the MC is not the type that would carry a throwaway gun though, because he didn't plan for any of this, so he has to come up with the idea of framing them for his accidental killing, after the fact of not having planned it at all though.

Two ways I thought of writing it so far is, the other cop manages to knock the gun out of one of the antagonist's hands, and grabs it. That antagonist runs away and takes cover. The MC doesn't have his police issue gun, because he is off duty perhaps, but has a knife to defend himself. He comes across the other cop, now holding one of the antagonists' guns and doesn't see his face and thinks it's one of the antagonists so he stabs him, thinking the other cop will shot him if doesn't stab him first. He then sees his face and realized he killed another cop when he didn't mean to.

Or another way, is instead of the MC having a gun he has his own home bought pistol, which cannot be traced back to him if he were to shoot bullets in this gunfight, as long as he gets rid of the gun aftewards and no one can find it. Do either of these two scenarios work, or not really?

Either way, the MC will still probably get his DNA on the other cop when trying to save him I am guessing, so the villains would have to scare him away with gunfire, and then once he runs away, the villains not wanting to be implicating in the cop killing, would have to dump gasoline all over the place, and burn it, with the body, thereby removing the MC's DNA as well, if that works?

Last edited:

Ajoy

Could your MC get into an altercation with one antagonist, ending up with their gun, shoot at another would be antagonist (who turns out to be the other cop), wipe the gun down and leave it with the guy he got it off before running away? He could find out later it was a cop he shot rather than one of the villains.

ironpony

Oh okay that can happen, but the do I have to explain why the MC doesn't have a gun to start with and needed to take one off of an antagonist though? I want all the villains to get away for now, so he will have to pin it on them, later if that makes sense?

Ajoy

Oh okay that can happen, but the do I have to explain why the MC doesn't have a gun to start with and needed to take one off of an antagonist though? I want all the villains to get away for now, so he will have to pin it on them, later if that makes sense?

I think your MC could be out without a gun. Maybe it was intentional because he wasn't planning to engage with the antagonists. Maybe one of the antagonists caught him by surprise. If you don't want any of them to die now, maybe the one he got the gun off of was just knocked out. Or, maybe the other cop saw the altercation between the MC and the antagonist, shot the antagonist, then the MC took the gun from him and returned fire on the cop (thinking it was another antagonist who'd fired on him), realizing it was another cop right after reacting/shooting him... if that makes sense. :) I think you could go a lot of directions with it depending on how you lay out the scene.