Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Is Anyone Else Aware Of These Terms? (1 Viewer)

TheMightyAz

I read a book a long time ago. I think it was called 'Plot' but can't remember the author. There are three terms I recall from that book that I think are useful and I wondered if it was the author who coined them or if they're generally known:

Mirroring: Taking something that's the opposite for the following scene. The birth of a child, next scene, the death of a loved one.

Echoing: Taking something the same (in some way) to the following scene. Guy walking across the arctic, woman closing the fridge.

Time bomb: Planted information the reader knows will eventually get outed ... but when? Character (a) knows something that will devastate character (b) and it's just a matter of time before that happens

Each can be interpreted in many ways. These are just examples.

Eastenders used to take timebombs to an annoying level!

vranger

Staff member
Global Moderator
You can find numerous literary devices, such as Paraprosdokian, which is a surprise ending to a sentence to make the reader/listener reevaluate the first part.

"Take my wife ... please".

"I haven't slept for ten days ... because that would be too long."

I add this to the thread because it's one I use somewhat frequently, both in life and in my writing. However, never expect me to discuss it again ... I'll never remember the damned word.

Users who are viewing this thread