Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

IRA: Red Dragon and Materials (1 Viewer)

Abishai100

The troubles in the UK between England and Ireland are pretty old and date back to centuries. After the Easter Rising of the early 20th Century, Ireland managed to obtain fantastic levels of independence for Dublin under the revolutionary leadership of Eamon de Valera and Michael Collins. However, Great Britain kept in its special possession all of Belfast (Northern Ireland) which was demographically dominated incidentally by generations of British Protestant colonial settlers, making the Irish Catholic a minority in that area. This partition of Ireland was not well-received by many radical Irish leaders and citizens and led to the evolution of the IRA (Irish Republican Army), a pseudo-terrorist group led by various leftists radicals and terrorists and working very loosely arguably with the legal and political arm of Irish politics in British Parliament called Sinn Fein.

The 'troubles' between the British Protestant majority and Irish Catholic minority in Belfast (Northern Ireland) has catalyzed the continuing problems between the IRA and British police and military. This has created all kinds of drama and storytelling and even offbeat journalism about the United Kingdom. In fact, recent major films have been made about the IRA, including Michael Collins (Neil Jordan), The Devil's Own (Alan J. Pakula), and The Wind that Shakes the Barley (Ken Loach).

With all this media and sociocultural attention afforded to the historic 'troubles' between British Protestants and Irish Catholics, you might consider how fiction and non-fiction about Irish politics perhaps in the modern age of media and networking/globalization inspires writers to think about the ways we recast political turbulence in terms of metaphysical categories. Does this make for greater or poorer writing? Does it make for more drama or for more bias in writing and journalism (fiction/non-fiction)?

We might consider how liberal stories about the IRA in journalism and fiction can invite audiences to consider the ways we might ascribe metaphysical categories to the various rogue groups involved in this old struggle. Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams and British PM Tony Blair among others have done much politically to end the terrorism and violence and police brutality in Northern Ireland following the historic and symbolic Easter Rising of 1916. However, today's media-immersed audiences might consider how the characterizations of pure violence and urban terrorism in Belfast might compel us to evaluate the blood and horror or the 'red dragon' of the IRA itself.

With that said, should we as a general modern media audience be curious about depictions in journalism and fiction of this metaphysical 'red dragon' of the troubling IRA? Should non-fiction journalism about the IRA be examined in greater detail so as to inspire more 'responsible' forms of Protestant-Catholic life-themed creative-writing (or fiction) regarding IRA dialogue in Belfast?

What do you think? Certainly, globalization politicsi n the age of media is reshaping the way we conceive of journalism and non-fiction and the ways it might even impact fiction and cinema and entertainment in general. Politics has never been closer to writing than now! This makes this a rather dizzying issue for me as a writer. I'd love to hear thoughts of others on this intriguing matter (Protestants and Catholics alike!).

====

'Today, the IRA has been blamed for another attack on the Brighton hotel in England and is being charged with interference with a media conference about the UK quarantine in the summer of 2020. While Sinn Fein professed a legitimate cease-fire with Parliament prior to the quarantine period, this new outbreak in Irish troubles suggests that lingering concerns about undesirable conditions between Protestants and Catholics in Belfast (Northern Ireland) might spell more dangers. Surely, this will inspire some writers to think about the ways they should carefully craft folk-tales about disasters in the era of media and globalization rhetoric.' -
BBC News

====

"Money is everything" (Ecclesiastes)

bank17.jpg

Abishai100

EXPOSITION: Irish Dragon

Well, how about positing that such a framed perspective on 'constructed intelligence' or 'socialized imagination' could foster more thorough storytelling regarding the tangibility of complex social consciousness? For example, if we take the subject/idea of the dragon creature, a mythical large flying reptilian winged and often fire-breathing beast described in Chinese and European folklore/literature, we might generate some kind of Irish drawn first-person diary about IRA superstition. Would such an account indicate a social bias towards political deformity? What do you think?

Incidentally, regarding the chosen subject creature/myth, the dragon has been considered a construction of fantastic mythology but has also been suggested and implied to be a potential evolutionary 'deviant' in otherwise 'standard' Darwinian theory, a creature symbolizing deep mortality.

Thanks for reading!

:mrgreen:

====

"

I traveled around the lands of Ireland, at least all of what is not Northern Ireland which is still unfortunately predominantly British Protestant, owed to the fact that generations of colonialists from England had settled there, much to the dismay of the evolving IRA (Irish Republican Army). I came upon various shores and hills and cities and towns and villages of the non-Northern area of Ireland or Dublin's Ireland or just plain Ireland as we all know it today. So traveling all around what is just simply Ireland gave me an overwhelming appreciating of the mist and dew of the rising fog glistening in the rising sun and creating idyllic fantasy rainbows throughout the rolling country of Ireland. I saw these rainbows and thought of leprechauns and fishermen and merchants and musicians and industry. I thought of Ireland.

I traveled to the lands near the shore and thought I saw a beautiful red-headed Irish mermaid bathing in the sun by the rocks by the shore. I then continued to stare out into the horizon by the cliffs on that shore and looked at yet another rainbow in Ireland. It was then, in this atmosphere of overwhelming naturalism that I thought I saw what resembled a very strange flying creature, which looked very small since it was so very far away but it was obviously small by the scaled distance and was obviously a rather large flying creature. It had jagged wings and a long serpentine tail and what seemed to be a thorny head. After it spewed what may have looked to me to be a fiery ball of light or energy or maybe really just sparks of fire, I knew instantly that I was having a vision of a real Irish dragon.

I wrote in my diary that this vision of the Irish dragon I saw on the cliffs by the shore was related to my hallucination of a gorgeous Irish mermaid by the same shore. I wrote that the mermaid represented by sentimental view that the struggling and claustrophobic Irish Catholic minority living alongside the British Protestant majority in Northern Ireland required great folk visions of wondrous living creatures representing the sustainability of organic life amidst unbearable conditions of consciousness or political realities. This was not drama. This was non-fiction! However, I couldn't erase from my mind the idea that I really did see some kind of specter of what resembled to me to be a fire-breathing 'Irish' dragon ahead of the cliffs on that shore on that day in Ireland. How could I deny this? I saw an Irish dragon, because I was thinking so seriously about Irish political frailty that I had a supernatural experience regarding the perception of an actual immortality. That's not drama. That's non-fiction. Should I report this to Sinn Fein?

"

====

ire7.jpg

Jacqui Jay

The only person who can write truthfully about the sectarian violence in Northern Ireland (not just Belfast, far from it) is someone who lived through it. Anyone else is depending on the recollections and outright 'yarns' of people consumed by a bias and righteous anger that will never go away, unto the third and fourth generation. In your short piece I picked up at least five things I disagree with, a couple of them quite strongly.
I'm 77 now and lived through much of what you speak about. Would you believe my account? I am writing a novel based in Northern Ireland in the late 1950s, based around the abortive Operation Harvest. I can remember the death of Sean South, but are my memories accurate or have they grown into a fictionalised version because the story has been recounted so many time?
Just a few random thoughts.
PS. Never heard of an 'Irish Dragon'

Matchu

I've seen a few of these across the webs across the years,

...the 'Hi Guys, I'm writing a Republican army v the British oppressor novella.

I got the British soldiers in green, damn green army, is that right? And Bobby 'Hannibal' Sands riding elephants into Belfast, 1969 I'm thinking IRA helicopters but the fukkin Brits nuke Dublin? Did that happen? It's only a matter of plausibility frankly.

Anyway, fukkin English should stay out of London. London will be free...'