Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Introduction (1 Viewer)

Reiner

Hello my name is Reiner. I am originally from Germany and I came to the US when I was 20 years old. I went back to live in Germany twice, once for 3 years and the other time for 7 years until I permanently settled in the Pacific NW.
I am currently writing my biography. I grew up in a cult and therefore most of my narrative is about experiences in this religious cult, but I also want to convey to my readers that it is possible to break free from a cult even after many years of indoctrination. I am trying to combine a biography with a memoir, if that makes sense. I am not thinking about getting rich or making lots of money by publishing my book. My main objective is to leave something for my kids and to help people that are in a similar situation. It also feels good to get it off my chest. I would appreciate any help I could receive from an experienced writer. If you have a German background, even better. There is some German related content, such as persecution of a religious minority during WW2. Thank you everyone and Happy Holidays.

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
Hello my name is Reiner. I am originally from Germany and I came to the US when I was 20 years old. I went back to live in Germany twice, once for 3 years and the other time for 7 years until I permanently settled in the Pacific NW.
I am currently writing my biography. I grew up in a cult and therefore most of my narrative is about experiences in this religious cult, but I also want to convey to my readers that it is possible to break free from a cult even after many years of indoctrination. I am trying to combine a biography with a memoir, if that makes sense. I am not thinking about getting rich or making lots of money by publishing my book. My main objective is to leave something for my kids and to help people that are in a similar situation. It also feels good to get it off my chest. I would appreciate any help I could receive from an experienced writer. If you have a German background, even better. There is some German related content, such as persecution of a religious minority during WW2. Thank you everyone and Happy Holidays.

Welcome to the forum, Reiner. I look forward to this with interest having been raised in a cult myself. A little of my poetry alludes to that and the other dysfunctional behaviour with which I was surrounded. I totally get how difficult it can be to break free, particularly when indoctrinated from early age. Long after physical separation the mind can continue to play tricks.

I have encountered a number of false starts with my own writing on this subject, largely due to the level of emotional content, I feel, but I have managed the odd poem.

I don't have any links to the German aspect of it, because all my difficulties took place in England, but Germany will be a tiny part of my own story; when I was a schoolkid I studied German language for a couple of years and I had a penfriend there. Unfortunately, I was made to stop writing to him because it wasn't regarded as 'spiritually upbuilding' and I wasn't allowed to carry out the exchange visits because of this. Visiting the German town of Heilbronn is on my bucket list though but, at 63, I'd better get on with it.

Again, welcome to the forum.