Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Into the Night (1 Viewer)

2020Syd2020

Hello,

I have to say I really, enjoyed the sparsity of this piece, you are able to take the reader from A to B with minimal fuss and that directness is really potent.

This being said, I think certain phrases and the way in which you have voiced the piece can feel a little cliche, phrases such as “my soul cries,” or “cool stillness of night,” feel like lines I have read time and time again, but; it would not take a lot to twist them so that you say the same thing without feeling like it has been said before.

I think this piece could be strengthened further through a process of addition of subtraction, one example being, “in the bleak/cool stillness of night,” could possibly become, “in the cool of night,” why? Essentially you are saying the same thing as before, but in a blunter more potent manner.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Cheers

Syd

petergrimes

Hi De-Anna - alright mate. Nice to meet you. I really like the atmosphere you create in this poem. I think

when all that filters through the darkness,
is silence,

is a really quality line. Really good. I agree with Syd in that I think the brevity really works well. I like short poems. There's a power in yours, a clarity. I think Syd's right that some of the phrases might have been used a fair amount. All the good stuff usually has. i reckon though if you can see a way in future to re-word the phrases Syd's pointed out, or re-imagine them in a way like you have with part above - well I think you'll come up with some not only really original stuff, but it will still have the sharpness and power of what you have here. I really like it. Great stuff. Cheers De-Anna, all the best, ta ra a bit PG