Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Interpret this Walt Whitman excerpt (1 Viewer)

Can someone please (translate) this from Whitman's Song of Myself:

"You shall no longer take things at second or third hand, nor look through the eyes of the dead, nor feed on the spectres in books,
You shall not look through my eyes either, nor take things from me,
You shall listen to all sides and filter them from your self."

Any help would be great. Thanks.

The memory contains information which is used to filter input brought in by the body/senses. You build memories for yourself and learn things from others that your brain used to generate perspectives on the world. You may orient yourself with a glass half empty filter or the other way around.

The information that lays on the surface of your working memory is most urgently you or what you define as your personality. But if your interests have the memories, desires, and intentions of other imposed over it then you are acting on behalf of their personality/past.

If you brain filters the world based on pre filtered information it isn't first hand account. He is saying be fully invested in the moment, where understanding is a living entity, your self.

Jolly McJollyson

brockomundo said:
Can someone please (translate) this from Whitman's Song of Myself:

"You shall no longer take things at second or third hand, nor look through the eyes of the dead, nor feed on the spectres in books,
You shall not look through my eyes either, nor take things from me,
You shall listen to all sides and filter them from your self."

Any help would be great. Thanks.
It's about existence as perception, and intellectuality as introspective.