Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Inspector Espinosa (1 Viewer)

astralis

Sometimes in the used bookstore I'll pick up a book in the clearance section for 50 cents to discover something new. Recently I read, "The Silence of the Rain" by Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza and was completely impressed. It's book two, I think, of the Inspector Espinosa series he created about a detective in South America. There was absolutely no pretense to the writing and I found it refreshing.

Surprisingly, though, he switched from third-person to first-person in the middle of the book and then switched back to third-person in the last thirds. When it switched I didn't catch it until about two pages in and realized something strange happened. Then I thought maybe this was on the clearance shelf because it was a publisher's copy and wasn't complete. Later I discovered it was intentional although I do not know why. But reading this story in two perspectives was surprisingly a lot of fun because it provided insight into the character from his own point-of-view after reading the first third part of the book in third-person.

If the author was experimenting, I thought it worked well with this story and I'm looking for his other books in this series, too.

Users who are viewing this thread