Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

In the Time of Butterflies (1 Viewer)

W

WelderX

Yes I have read that book and I'll agree with you it is very nicely written and it is one of the best books I have ever read.
Do you know any other good books by Julia? I might be interested in checking them out.

Smurf Mamita

Um, How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents is supposed to be good. And there's another one...I'm not too sure of the name...I'll check on it later...

But if you liked that book, there's a book by Isabel Allende called "The House of Spirits" Oh my gosh, that book is SO good. I've read 2 or 3 times because I thought we were gonna have to read it for school...and we were supposed to, but then the teacher decided to switch out the books because she was getting tired of teaching about that particular book. I was SO disappointed...oh well...Yeah, that book is kind of like In the Time of Butterflies, but there's a little bit of magic. But not like, tacky corny magic. The main character moves things with her mind when she get nervous or something and she has visions or premonitions...or something like that.

But yeah, great book. Both of them.

urbanophelia

I adore that book! It is so rich and descriptive. I haven't read How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, although I'd like to.

If you like Julia Alvarez, you may also like the fiction of Sandra Cisneros, who wrote House on Mango Street.