Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

I'm a new guy (1 Viewer)

R

R-Sasse

Forums etc. are totally new and foreign to me. I am not comfortable with them but with my beautiful wife's urging I will try.

I am a Vietnam Veteran, have lived a somewhat closed life, written two unpublished novels. and have a rich and wonderful life in the high desert of New Mexico.

As happens to many writers, when My pet novel didn't get published I went into a three year funk about writing and am hoping this forum can help me buck up.

Thank you and hope to virtually get to know some new friends.
Robert

D

Dr. Malone

Forums are pretty easy. Not much to worry about. Lots of big buttons. If I can do it, so can you.
I know many Vietnam vets, and I like you guys as a whole. My cousin served over there in and around Laos I think. I know he had a hard time coming back. I'm also friends with a guy who competes as a sharpshooter and served in Vietnam. He has a couple badass custom rifles. And I'm friends with the retired local sniper on the SWAT team here. He was over there too. We used to go muddin' together in our jeeps and trucks. I know many more, but I'll end there.
I think adrianhayter is from New Mexico too. Maybe you guys will run into each other.

adrianhayter

Wait! I heard my name mentioned and for once, not in vain.
Welcome Robert - it's great to have someone beside these Aussies around:).
I'm new myself but have found this place to be more supportive than I could have ever expected. They're a crude and rude lot but have given me advice I wouldn't have been able to buy.

I've lived in New Mexico for twenty-three years in the Sangre De Cristo Mts. east of Santa Fe. We may be close to the same age. I'm a bit of a beginning writer but if I can show you around the site, just let me know.

Adrian

Shinn

Hello there and let me welcome you to the forum, Robert. I hope you will like being here, and will show us some of your writing soon :)

~ Shinn

Hawke

Patron
Patron
Hello and welcome to the community, Robert. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to drop a PM (private message) to me or any of the staff. Enjoy!

R

R-Sasse

HUMM

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT SOME OF YOU ACTUAQLLY REPLIED. THANKS. SO NOW WHAT DO I DO?

Hawke

Patron
Patron
lol Well, you could have a look around and get a feel for the forums if you'd like. Or just jump right in. Read, (constructive) critique/comment, check out the Lounge, Games or whatever interests you. Get to know the folks. :)

Erik Buchanan

HUMM

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT SOME OF YOU ACTUAQLLY REPLIED. THANKS. SO NOW WHAT DO I DO?

Whatever you want. That's the joy of forums.

You can read other people's work and see if it inspires you (either to say "That's amazing! I want to write something that good!" or "What crap! I'll write something better!" :)). Or you can just read them for fun.

You can comment on other people's work if you feel you have something constructive to add -- anything from discussing themes and deep meanings to helping with punctuation.

You can post your own work and open up the floor for critiques to help you improve it.

Basically, think of a forum as a large party with a lot of discussions going on in different places. Join the ones you like, avoid the ones you don't, be polite, and jump in where you have something to say.

And remember, most of us are here because we love to write, and we want to share our time with other writers. We may be critical, but we are trying to help. You don't have to agree with everything that's said, and you don't have to listen or reply to anyone being abusive.

Now, speaking of all things writingish, have you got a writing schedule? I find that helps immeasurably in getting things on paper.

Have fun and good luck with your work.

Wallmaker

Hi Robert,

I was in neighboring AZ for 22 years. I'm totally longing for the desert and beautiful sunsets now.

What do you do now? I like to procrastinate on my own writing by reading and leaving feedback on forums. :) I was pretty burnt out when I came here myself and I assure you that meeting writers trudging along on their own journeys can be quite helpful.

If you ever want some feedback or have a question, feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
Kay