Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

I'll give it a shot -- I need a good book (1 Viewer)

S

Spark

Alright, I need a book. I need a book /very/ badly. As in, I've been re-reading books like a madwoman. Here are some of the books I've read recently and enjoyed, to give people an idea of what I like. I have a wide variety of tastes, however, no romance, no horror please.

Sabriel, The Abhorsen, Lirael -- Garth Nix
all the Harry Potter books -- J.K Rowling
My Sister's Keeper, The Pact, Perfect Match -- Jodi Picoult
Angels and Deamons, the DaVinci Code -- Dan Brown
All of the Tamora Pierce novels, for the most part.

TSMaloy

Have you tried anything by Terry Goodkind or Dean Koontz?

"Odd Thomas" Dean Koontz

"Wizard's First Rule" Terry Goodkind

Good Stuff

Dephere

Any George R.R. Martin, if you want fantasy and A Clockwork Orange for just a good freakin' read!

J

Jaime Lannister

Gonna go with Dephere on this one-Martin's Game of Thrones is a start to the best fantasy series ever in my opinion. Impossible to disappoint.

Hookflash

I also highly recommend Martin's books. Best fantasy series I've come across so far. Another series (a trilogy, actually) well worth checking out: His Dark Materials.

Spark said:
Sabriel, The Abhorsen, Lirael -- Garth Nix

A question to you and anyne who reads this: The only Garth Nix books ive read are Young Adult(like, 7-11ish) but i keep hearing people much older talk about him, is there a whole chunk of his work im missing? is it even the same person? :-s

aliceedelweiss

I secound Dean Koontz. That man is amazing. Try hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy by Douglas Adams if you like humor. Right now I'm reading Something wicked this way comes by Ray Bradbury, and I'm not done yet, but its really awesome.

strangedaze

The World According to Garp by John Irving is my usual recommendation for someone whose tastes don't lean too drastically in any direction.

S

Spark

Thanks for all the suggestions!

KeineAngst, those three mentioned were pretty complicated for me, and I think I read them when I was 13... I think those mentioned are 13 and up. Young adult, at least.